Wood ID please....Walnut?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Wombling through the woods with crazy loon puppy today I espied some lumps of wood from a recently felled tree damaged in the high winds the other week...so the wife and I took it back and I sawed it up.

It was mighty heavy...this lump was 3.3kg....

DSC_0455.JPG

Now...apart from what it looks like..and I ain't no expert...but along with some calculations on volume and density etc...this lump should weigh 2.8kg if dry (which it ain't) if it is English Walnut.

DSC_0456.JPG

Given that it has over 30% water content and it should drop to around 12% when dry...I figure it is about the right density for English Walnut.

DSC_0457.JPG

So....before I go any further and cut up the rest of it to season...someone who knows their woods please put me out of my misery and confirm it one way or another!

Cheers my friends...

Jimi

I have just received some pen blanks that were a similar colour. I was informed that they were rippled english walnut, although your piece doesn't have the rippling. I think that you could be right

Not that I wish to disappoint but that looks more like green/wet oak to me.

Small pipping and medulary rays showing edge on - I may be mistaken though.

Can't assist with recognition Jimi.

However, whilst I don't wish to be a spoilsport, a guy up here in the West Midlands was prosecuted for theft, for removing wind-fall timber from a local park. He was also censured for removing a source of habitat for invertebrates ...

Please note, I am NOT criticising anyone. Just hoping you know the law in your neck of the 'woods', so to speak.
HTH

:wink:

Thanks for the replies guys...I don't have a bark picture but can get one tomorrow but I don't think it was an oak tree...there are similar ones nearby and they are not oak.

The heartwood looks too dark for oak...

DSC_0458.JPG

I have waxed it but when wet it was very dark in colour...completely different from the sapwood.

And John...never fear mate...it is a private wood and we know the owner...no problems there but thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Jim

The first picture you put up jim, made me think oak what with the line of brown dashes. But the end grain is classic english walnut.

A conundrum

Adidat

Just an update...it is definitely English walnut....this picture of a fine gent cutting it up in Paul's old thread that just popped up....

Walnut8.jpg

...shows the tree exactly like the log I found before I squared out most of the sapwood.

I happened across another pile today.... :wink:

Jim

That's a suspicious looking character there Jim :lol:

Seemed to have missed this thread somehow, but think you have cracked the mystery ! The heartwood is gorgeous and dark when freshly cut, pales a bit as it dries out, and then goes lovely and dark again when oiled or polished.

Hope you are going to head on back and load up with more :mrgreen:

Cheers, Paul

Back