Wood ID if possible

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COWS

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I wonder if anyone can nail this down for me? I picked up a couple of boards from a nearby sawmill which have sat in the guy's store for a while. He couldn't remember what it was or where he'd acquired it. We both assumed it to be teak or maybe iroko after a rub on the surface. Any clarification on this based on the photo's?

Thanks.

IMG_1216.jpgIMG_1217.jpgIMG_1218.jpg

Meranti is softer than sapele, and has less fragrance, and I'd guess it could likely be either from what I can see,
but no red colour is coming through like Torx pictures of iroko.
Another picture of the grain face on would likely clarify some more, along with another picture of the grain of the edge
Taken with some reference like you have a box matches on the surface with small print, will give a better clue of pore size, i.e the sheared veins of the sufrace,
much larger in meranti, similar to iroko compred to the much tighter grain of sapele.

If something else, then some figure of the edge might be a giveaway, say utile/sipo can have fleck much like beech has.

Tom

Meranti is softer than sapele, and has less fragrance, and I'd guess it could likely be either from what I can see,
but no red colour is coming through like Torx pictures of iroko.
Another picture of the grain face on would likely clarify some more, along with another picture of the grain of the edge
Taken with some reference like you have a box matches on the surface with small print, will give a better clue of pore size, i.e the sheared veins of the sufrace,
much larger in meranti, similar to iroko compred to the much tighter grain of sapele.

If something else, then some figure of the edge might be a giveaway, say utile/sipo can have fleck much like beech has.

Tom
Mines obviously waxed but agree the OPs timber looks more like meranti.

Thank you guys. Think we'll agree that it's Meranti. I had my doubts once I'd planed it up.

Back