Wood I.D Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys

I still haven't got a clue what this is!

How long would it take to dry sufficiently so I can make a small cabinet out of it, and should I resaw it sooner or later? It's currently stood up in my still uninsulated shed.

Thanks,
Mark

I always understood that greenheart was/is used for docks because it is not susceptible to marine borers.
When I was at school (late '60's) there was a timber merchant in Liverpool who had in their catalogue greenheart 80'x2'6'' x2'6''. Lignum vitae as far as I know is a fairly small tree. It aquired it's name because it's dust was supposed to cure syphilis--tree of life. DAMHIKT.

measure its moisture work out what you`re going to make and depending on both of those factors cut it up to see what its like through and through bet you cant wait. i wouldn`t cut it inside mind you i`d want to cut it outside not knowing if its dust is dodgy. (isn`t all dust dodgy) be interested in seeing if those lines run through it.
all the best
rob

Hi Rob

I have to square it up with my electric planer/hand planes first before ripping, which I'm afraid can't be done for at least a fortnight. I'll rent a moisture metre from our local hire shop nearer the time to test the moisture content, though I suspect it'll take a while to dry properly since there was seaweed attached to one end!

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark, we're all pretty sure this is oak.

Can you take another picture of this close up so we can see the grain?

toolsandtimber":2yyzx008 said:
Hi Mark, we're all pretty sure this is oak.

Can you take another picture of this close up so we can see the grain?
I'll take a picture tomorrow

Mark

Back