Wood I.D PLease!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philb88

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been given two Hardwood exterior doors that were about to be firewood. On chopping them up thought they might be Mahogany or Sapele but didn't really feel heavy enough. Put through the planer and I'm not 100% sure what they are!

Have the colouring of mahogany but have a really papery feel, also the cut edge is left very fibrous were mahogany is quite a tight grain. The wood stays fibrous even when sanded! The picture below is of a half oiled plank and is cut on the quarter. The planks not on the quarter don't show the flecks

Any ideas? Thanks

Attachments

• get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 88
meranti (and it is spelt properly as far as i`m aware ) its a favourite of the door manufacturers also known as phillipine mahogany and lauan and something else that i cant remember the name of.
all the best
rob

+1 for Meranti (Luan/Phil.Mahog.) and ok for workshop cupboards, that can't be seen, and worktops that aren't going to be used for much other than putting stuff on!!

:D

I have heard that name before for doors and for a mahogany substitute! But never actually had any in hand!

Seems OK for testing out ideas with, got six 4ft x 4in x 2in sections, all dry and straight. Something free to play with, even if its not for final products.

Cheers Guys

Used to be known in formal circles as a b***** Mahogany which covered many species, but 'you can't say that' nowadays. I think it was anything not seen as the best....but thats 50+ years ago when trade terminology was still widely used.

You can use it for drawer linings... If you don't care how soon it wears!
I took the chance of some cheap sheets of laminated Luan in a sale. I used four sheets for my benchtop. It's lasted well enough, but with my way of working, it's time for something much more resilient!

I would use it for garage shelves... maybe. :)

Rob Platt":31yz6kzt said:
meranti (and it is spelt properly as far as i`m aware ) its a favourite of the door manufacturers also known as phillipine mahogany and lauan and something else that i cant remember the name of.
all the best
rob

Well I never. Im sure I have seen it spelt differently. Being a bad speller I assumed there way was right :lol:

Latest posts

Back