Wood Gloat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jurriaan":1hqi8xp1 said:
file.php

Here is the blank on my lathe. a 35" bowl should be possible. Unfortunately, at the moment, I have to help the 3 HP motor to get it spinning and I have to reset the inverter after stopping it, because it isn't beefy enough to brake it down from 200/min in 10 seconds. My preferred weapon to attack it is the 1" Ashley Iles bowl gouge.

I shall tell my brother in Arnhem to expect a small earthquake when you start that spinning!

Ahh, WP, that's the risk you take. (hammer) and why I suggested the topic should be sticky.

Jurriaan is clearly winning in size and Neil in quantity - 'size of' and 'quantity of' is left to the reader's imagination.

Rob

OldWood":d1ezemwh said:
If you dangle your mouse over the photo it shows the title - so 'well id'd' by chance nothing to do with skill !!

Rob

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Since this seems to be the post to gloat on, I thought I'd add my little bit as well.

Doing a littl bit of retoration work on an old country church in rural South Ayrshire, and there was a Yew tree on th brinking of falling right through the building.

Since the wee church have a grand total of zero funds, I was paid by means of the entire tree. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately I can't put any of it out to offer you guys - I got a too-good-to-refuse offer from someone to take the majority of it off my hands as I really don't have the space to store so much at one time.

Anyway, they had the tree cut down and nicely stacked up waiting for it to be collected - which was duly done yesterday & today.
Underneath all the branch wood & thinner log parts, there were also a few trunk portions of about 24" diameter. :mrgreen:

There should be some more trees coming down from around the church over the next few months too, so if there's any up for grabs I'll let you all know.

Attachments

• IMG_20120204_103933.jpg
    IMG_20120204_103933.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_20120204_103946.jpg
    IMG_20120204_103946.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 327
Ahhh - now south Ayrshire isn't that too far from Edinburgh and I have friends in those parts to visit too !! Hitchin is just a bit too far ! :lol: We cut a bit more of the elm today and there was a touch of green at one point so it may well be a wych elm.

It wasn't Mike Poole that took it was the yew, was it ?

Rob

Back