Wood gloat part 2 - Stacking (Pictures)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Monkey

Established Member
Reaction score
After my recent milling session today I started to sort and stack the planks and get rid of some of the waste.

Jonathan (aka JMC67) helped me cut up some of the off cuts and took it away for fire wood. My Dad turned up and took some more and helped me with the stacking.

I set up my flip saw with a couple of roller stands so I could cut off any split ends. This set-up worked well. Some of the wider boards needed to be flipped in order to get all the way through.

d2786adb.jpg

I don't recommend dropping an 8ft Oak plank on the radio.....!

ef03cc1c.jpg

Fortunately I had a large amount of CLS studing after I needed to order 12 lengths for a DIY project but it was actually cheaper to get 20 lengths. I was going to rip these down to 25mm square sticks but 18mm square sticks gave me a better yield. I'm experimenting with the stacking putting one under cover in my dry store, one in the open with a board over the top and one in my garage. The first one is in the garage. I brushed off all the sawdust, cut the ends square and stacked.

dfc2277b.jpg

... and stacked. I think the air flow is pretty good in my garage. Certainly judging by the amount of leaves that collet in there.

46274654.jpg

Before I packed up for the day I brushed a 1:1 PVA solution on all the ends. I'll do a second coat in the morning.

df409709.jpg

I took the time to measure and mark all the boards so I know what I've got. This stack is made up of 28mm and 38mm thick boards that are mixed between 110mm and 240mm wide. Pretty much all of them are 2.4m long.

96a55bfb.jpg

Before covering up the remaining boards I did a quick stock take and think I'll put another 3 layers on this stack before starting the next. I'm estimating another 2 days to get it all cleared.

324fdb67.jpg

More to follow.

Regards, Jon

Oh my god John, I am very jealous! I'd love to have so much timber that it took me days to sort out! :) Well played that man, you'll have to keep us updated on your results from the drying process.

Cheers _Dan.

Indeed, there is just about enough there to make my Hayrake Table... :mrgreen:
Is there any quarter-sawn among that glorious stash John? Just curious. I shall have to go to Whitmore's for mine. Oh well.....

:D

Hi Jon

What you need to do now is get hold of some ratchet straps and tie the planks down tightly at each of the stickers. get a thin piece of timber to place under the ratchet so it is not in contact with the wet oak because of staining. It is good practice as well to put the thinnest planks on the bottom with the thickest on top. I also spray my planks with anti fungicide to stop any mould forming and ruining the boards. This of course doesnt apply to spalted beech, if you want to increase the spalting!

Mike

I didn't get any time to do any more stacking today, however I got an hour messing around and sorted through some of the interesting off cuts I'd put to one side.

I got so excited, I set about a few of them with the table saw and thicknesser and the result was a big pile of green Oak shavings (is it just me that thinks green Oak smells of cat pee?) and these.....!

0262bfb5.jpg

c4946237.jpg

21b5e5ce.jpg

They are about 40mm thick, 300mm wide and 500mm long. I probably should have left them alone but I couldn't resist (I've sealed the ends and stashed them in my special drying place). I have other interesting looking pieces some of which are double the length :D

Benchwayze - There is a fair bit of quarter sawn. I'd guess about 25-35%, possibly more, is nice looking QS.

Mike - Thanks for tip about the straps, I have some ordered which should be delivered next week. What fungicide do you use to spay your planks?

Jon

Some gorgeous timber there Jon, the pippy/burr pieces in particular look a bit special, must be very satisfying :)

Cheers, Paul

Jon....you are officially on my "green with envy" list!!!

WOW...those burr boards are just stunning...I am amazed.

It's funny you should liken them to art Mike...I do the same thing...I see fractal art in all these things...like some burr elm I have reminds me of a distant planet's landscape....

DSC_0101.JPG

Isn't nature gorgeous!?

Jim

Nice haul indeed :) And a worthy gloat. However, I am just as impressed that someone has that much space in their garage/workshop that they can store all that timber without it being an obstacle to safe and easy passage....

Adam

P.S Those burry bits look particularly spectacular....

Kalimna":17spxb6b said:
Nice haul indeed :) And a worthy gloat. However, I am just as impressed that someone has that much space in their garage/workshop that they can store all that timber without it being an obstacle to safe and easy passage....

Adam

P.S Those burry bits look particularly spectacular....

I was thinking the same regarding space Adam.
I do know a tree surgeon, but having nowhere to store timber in such quantities, I have to let opportunities pass!

:(

Pleasure to help Jon - and I bet you're glad to start getting it stacked safely away inside. Those burr peaces look amazing. The offcuts have made a good stack outside my back door and even SWMBO was impressed. Let me know when you need a hand again (and I'll even bring my sharp chainsaw again :lol:). Shame about your radio though...

Hahahaha. I wish I had loads of space in my garage. I usually try to fill any spare space with bikes, but I figured if I stack some wood in there I could then use it as a bench to work on my bikes. :D

On the subject of space I wonder if the collective could share their opinions on this as a drying location. I'm thinking of putting some in my loft as it's lovely and warm during the summer and has good ventilation, kind of like a solar kiln. Would the heat during the summer cause the wood to initially dry too quickly and should I maybe put some up there after a period in the open?

My loft has loads of space, is completely boarded and there are several locations directly above supporting walls and hence the weight shouldn't be a problem (once I've dragged it up there that is).

Thoughts welcome.

Jon

Latest posts

Back