Wood from a Hankerchief tree ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterw3035

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of turning or carving wood from a handkerchief tree ??

I've been offered some from a recently cut down tree, I've said yes please and will give it a go, it can always go on the wood burner :cool:

I got married under one of these trees!
I'm guessing it's a bit like lime - pale, with a tight grain structure - but that's a pure guess!

Tried it, but that globby sticky stuff ain't resin, even if it is yellowy greenish looking it really ain't resin.......

Hadn’t heard of it so I looked it up, (Spelt with a D by the way) also known as the dove tree or ghost tree it has an interesting story and is rare in this country, originally from China, your tree was probably planted in the early 1900s as that is when the first specimens were grown outside China. Sorry couldn’t find anything about the timber at all but will check my timber book next time I go, One bit of information I did glean is that it is slow-growing which is encouraging. Ian

Hadn’t heard of it so I looked it up, (Spelt with a D by the way) also known as the dove tree or ghost tree it has an interesting story and is rare in this country, originally from China, your tree was probably planted in the early 1900s as that is when the first specimens were grown outside China. Sorry couldn’t find anything about the timber at all but will check my timber book next time I go, One bit of information I did glean is that it is slow-growing which is encouraging. Ian
Thanks Ian for some good info, the tree was not that old but I'll have a better idea when I pick it up. I'll be interested in what your book says.

Does anyone have any experience of turning or carving wood from a handkerchief tree ??

I've been offered some from a recently cut down tree, I've said yes please and will give it a go, it can always go on the wood burner :cool:
It's not to be sneezed at !!!

Hi Peter finally got to my wood identification and use book and I’m afraid it’s not in, not under any of its four names, I forgot to say it’s botanical name is Davidia Involucrata.
And there are some really silly names for timbers, Cow wood, Bollywood-Silkwood, Rubberwood, Bread, Tea, and Cucumber trees, Manwood, Hoeboe, Chewstick, and Long John, but no Handkerchief tree sorry. Ian

Money to be made there Peter...It is not too common. I seem to remember a lovely Handkerchief Tree at Sizergh Castle but if I had taken only a few pen blanks from it the NT / Stickland family might have got upset ;)

I have some timber reputedly from a handkerchief tree. It turns like a cross between elm and walnut. Similar colour to walnut. I would like to know if you still have any left. I want to see an enlarged image of the end grain known to be h/chief tree to compare the pore structure with what I have left. The bigger magnification the better. If it is the same, I will submit some info to wood-database.com.

Back