wood for table top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am halfway through a restoration / upcycle project of a corner desk that I salvaged. The desk was originally varnished with a leather top, then (I imagine some time later) painted with white gloss:
*Pic1*
I have stripped the majority of the paint and repaired a few broken bits. The top was made of plywood so I have removed it and plan to make or fit a top of the same profile but in matching wood, hopefully around ¾” thick. This is where you guys come in!
*Pic2*
So problem 1 – What wood is it? – At first I thought it was beech as it is nice and light however the colour and the grain has left me scratching my head. It looks a bit like Oak but is nowhere near dense enough. I think this desk was probably made around the 60s (stab in the dark tbh) so I don’t think it’s anything too exotic. Pic of one of the drawers below, any suggestions appreciated!
*Pic3*
Problem 2 – Sourcing and cutting the wood (bit in the dark here) – Where does one go to acquire nice planks of wood? Can I buy the planks with a tongue and groove pre machined? I know the normal DIY stores don’t do anything of furniture quality. I found this site that will supply pre-made worktops to your specifications but I think it will end up a bit pricey. (http://www.goodtimber.com/cgi-bin/newbuild/menu_gallery/timber_list_WT.html)

I am okay at carpentry (my username may mislead - I am not a cabinet builder) but the only power tools I own are my drill and sander so ideally I would like something that’s easy to fit together.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_30404.jpg
    IMG_30404.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3039.JPG
    IMG_3039.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 229
Fairly sure the drawer is oak, but can't see the carcase well enough.

Oak, you can see the Medullary rays on the front of the drawer (quarter sawn)

Try and find a local joinery shop on some industrial estate, or a furniture maker or a local joiner etc. they would be likely to help.

Andy

Goodtimber is quite a way from Redhill - just SW of Northampton. There must be a closer timber merchant. I buy my wood from there and have found them OK. They have plenty of nice European Oak which would suit your desk top.

John

If you want oak to match, the normal way would be to equip yourself with the necessary tools and experience, buy boards (which might be rough sawn, or planed square) then saw and plane them to size, including the T&G if that's the way you wanted to go. Not easy if you don't have the tools and experience!

You can pay someone else to do all that for you - and some timber merchants will - but you will pay a lot of money for their time, machinery and skill. The costs are disproportionately high for a tiny job like this and many merchants would not be interested at all.

For your little project I suggest instead that you look around for a timber merchant who sells sheet materials and buy some oak veneered mdf or plywood for the top. It looks like half of an 8' x4' sheet would do. This would still be quite expensive but would only need to be sawn to shape, screwed on and (optionally) edged or painted to disguise the exposed core.

There is a third way which might work - there is plenty of solid or veneered oak flooring around, at quite reasonable prices, which is effectively the ready made T&G you are asking for. Have a look in a few showrooms, maybe talk nicely to installers and ask about offcuts. The downside of this is although it will be strong along the length of the planks you would need to add some extra support at right angles. You might get away with running the wood across corner to corner.

The other thing would be to look for a local joinery or cabinet making firm and ask if they could machine and join up a too for you. Small companies are sometimes quite helpful with this sort of stuff.

I might be able to make a top for you in solid oak or oak veneered mdf -if I have the material

If you have the length and depth dimensions I would be able to check.

We are based in East grinstead.

cheers Robin

Thanks chaps, yeah it is Oak - It just seemed to light!

Hi Robin, that could work I pass through E.Grinstead sometimes on the way to Sheffield Park. I will send you a PM.

Back