Wood for nibbles bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickt014

Reaction score
Hi gents,

been asked to produce 3 bowls for nibbles. Can anyone recommend what hard wearing and durable wood would be best.

Cheers

Any fruit wood, beech but not yew as it is poisonous and not good for your health :mrgreen: Walnut also has a lovely grain or lelandii. Believe it or not leylandii, when it's good and dry, turns beautifully, has a lovely grain and takes a really good finish. See below

Leyland  bowl-02 A.jpg

What sort of size? I would go for cherry if i could. It's a lovely wood with a beautiful grain. I have made several small ones from cherry branches, just 3" diameter. I cut the branch down the middle and turned one from each half. When they are put top to top it shows exactly what the branch looked like. I use them to put me nuts in when I'm watching the haunted fish tank (TV to you) :shock:

Attachments

• Leyland  bowl-02 A.jpg
    Leyland bowl-02 A.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 493
  • Small cherry bpwls 1 A.jpg
    Small cherry bpwls 1 A.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 486
Jonzjob":1lqkf2ts said:
Any fruit wood, beech but not yew as it is poisonous and not good for your health :mrgreen: Walnut also has a lovely grain or lelandii. Believe it or not leylandii, when it's good and dry, turns beautifully, has a lovely grain and takes a really good finish. See below

What sort of size? I would go for cherry if i could. It's a lovely wood with a beautiful grain. I have made several small ones from cherry branches, just 3" diameter. I cut the branch down the middle and turned one from each half. When they are put top to top it shows exactly what the branch looked like. I use them to put me nuts in when I'm watching the haunted fish tank (TV to you) :shock:

They are beautiful.

Jonzjob":1s41x8rh said:
Any fruit wood, beech but not yew as it is poisonous and not good for your health :mrgreen: :
I'm not sure about that, but that's the trouble with the internet, discerning fact from myth.
I've read that all yew is poisonous but only if ingested & that UK yew is the least poisonous.
If you follow Chas's threads, he produces numerous yew bowls & hasn't reported any casualties amongst the recipients.

I have to admit that I had my doubts about that Robo and agree that the web is often a web of myth. Yew is one of my favorites to turn and I too have turned a good number of bowls and dishes from iy, but I have stopped at doing so for things like babies rattles though.

I suppose that in this day and age it's called covering the bit that one sits on :)

Apologies to Mick for taking over his thread.

Yes, I love turning yew too.

Never turned a rattle but it makes sense not to make anything from yew that is likely to be put in the mouth. Perhaps I should stop licking my bowls clean. :)

Latest posts

Back