Wood for bird table.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaredyCat

Established Member
Reaction score
My bird table self destructed sometime last night so I've been tasked with repairing or building a new one. Lots of it is ok it's mainly the platform and roof that are pretty unusable.

What's a recommended wood for building one? I looked into Sapele but read somewhere that it's not that robust. Should I be varnishing ?

I make a lot of bird feeders to sell at craft fairs. I always use chestnut. I find it is lovely to work with, it is not heavy and it is very resistant to the weather.

The damage was probably done by squirrels. Don't be fooled into thinking it was the wind or whatever - that's what they want you to believe.

As for wood, what about oak? I just pulled up some oak stakes after 10 years in the ground with no treatment or anything and they are still intact.

Thanks for the wood tips. Will see what I have form those 2.

I think it's either the wind or those fat massive pigeons - haven't seen a squirrel here, ever (though they might dress up as big fat pigeons)

Back