Wood flour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskers

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve never heard of this product until today. Could someone please advise me whatever you know about it. I m building an 18th century wood model of a ship. I need to fill in approximately 10,000 tiny (.5 mm) holes with a wood product to simulate the trennels. Would this product fit the bill? Could I brush it on filling the holes and then sand the planks when it is dry? Is this product stainable?
Thanks for your help
John

A ( very brief ) Google showed it to be very fine saw dust..... grab your sander and get going! Use maybe 180 grit or 240.
You can then mix it with d4 or a pva. In terms of staining, it depends what glue you use and the stain type. I recently used a coloron mahogany which sat on top of the oak, hardly went in, so would go over the d4, but if you used one that soaked in well, youd need to choose your glue carefully

A ( very brief ) Google showed it to be very fine saw dust..... grab your sander and get going! Use maybe 180 grit or 240.
You can then mix it with d4 or a pva. In terms of staining, it depends what glue you use and the stain type. I recently used a coloron mahogany which sat on top of the oak, hardly went in, so would go over the d4, but if you used one that soaked in well, youd need to choose your glue carefully
Thanks so much for your help

You don't need to stain it in the normal way, just use a fine tip sharpie or similar in the correct colour. You certainly don't need to buy wood dust as Kev said, even a hand sanding block and 180g abrasive will quickly produce copious amounts.
I'm busy building a model of the frigate HMS Unicorn though haven't touched it for a couple of months. At 730mm long and 840mm high all my wife wants to know is where the hell I'm going to put it. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
You don't need to stain it in the normal way, just use a fine tip sharpie or similar in the correct colour. You certainly don't need to buy wood dust as Kev said, even a hand sanding block and 180g abrasive will quickly produce copious amounts.
I'm busy building a model of the frigate HMS Unicorn though haven't touched it for a couple of months. At 730mm long and 840mm high all my wife wants to know is where the hell I'm going to put it. :ROFLMAO:
I'd find somewhere quick to put it. Else SWMBO mind find somewhere for you and that could be very painful 🤣🤪😅

Advice here is right. Don't bother buying make your own. I keep a couple of tins of tins of different species for their different colours. Use a good abrasive though, cheap ones mean your 'flour' will get get contaminated with loose grit from the abrasives. Not usually a visual problem, but you can feel the grittiness in the 'flour'.

You may need to make sure that any stain in the "flour" does not also stain the surrounding wood - perhaps this should get a barrier coat before you fill the treenails.

I'd find somewhere quick to put it. Else SWMBO mind find somewhere for you and that could be very painful 🤣🤪😅
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: That had crossed my mind. It's going to take me a long time to build it so plenty of time to sort it out. I seriously doubt she would ever dust the thing though, there will be rather a lot of rigging.

Same here, I'm on my 4th 'Big 'un' with 4 more to go, & everyone who visits asks; "Where're you going put them all?" !! :unsure: :dunno::ROFLMAO:

Had to put the specs to see the holes are 0.5 mm :LOL: In general it's better to make the filler to the correct colour rather than trying to stain it afterwards. Some fillers like Woodfil claim to take a pre mixed stain before application. I like to use the range of Liberon earth pigments which will mix into virtually any filler to get the desired shade. Dunno about wood flour - does it even have a binder to set hard ?

Had to put the specs to see the holes are 0.5 mm :LOL: In general it's better to make the filler to the correct colour rather than trying to stain it afterwards. Some fillers like Woodfil claim to take a pre mixed stain before application. I like to use the range of Liberon earth pigments which will mix into virtually any filler to get the desired shade. Dunno about wood flour - does it even have a binder to set hard ?
Thanks to all you guys for your advice and help. As stated I had never heard of wood flour until yesterday. I’ve been wood working for over 40 years and never knew I had a shop full of this item, known to me as fine sawdust. It’s a great marketing name for a common thing.

Just another scam, similar to model scenery items; eg Sawdust & twigs packaged in ziplock bags with company logo, stuff you find lying around hedgerows & backyards.

Back