Wood filler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29368

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello again

I am working on a project that started with a nice lump of Ash. During routing I caught end grain in the wrong direction which caused some tare-out, frustrating as I could have avoided it had I taken more care.
Anyway...
I have tried to repair it with original tight bond glue mixed with sawdust from the same piece of wood. Unfortunately the glue / sawdust filler has turned very dark.
I'm struggling to understand why and if there's another way or type of filler that can match ash wood. Probably too late this time as it’s done, but there will always be a next time.

Any hints or tips most welcome please,

Here’s the offending area, the marks are the approx. size of a 10p coin, (a very close up image)

20220509_191651[1].jpg

I’ve recently used Colron refined wood dye( it’s water based ) mixed with white interior wood filler , used light oak stain to repair an oak board and repair was decent . I’ve never had mush luck using glue and sawdust but I do use this method if the defect is not going to be on show .

Maybe filling is not going to be the answer so could you sand it out or worst case run it through a thicknesser assuming it is a piece of wood and not something like a table!

Thanks for the comments. it is on the edge of a guitar body, the outside of a curve. I have already sanded it smooth to 240grit. Will try a scraper and raising the grain but I have my doubts about that at this stage.

Fiddes filler sounds like it would have done a much better job - will remember that if there's a next time.

If I manage to improve it somehow I'll report back.
Cheers

I've not found a fill that's a real match, because it always reflects light differently from the wood. Sawdust and glue is bad, even if you use lighter dust and the glue darkens it to match the colour, because the fill is essentially all end grain.

For instrument necks and other curves my final finishing is mainly via card scraper, avoiding tearout and getting finer control over the shape.

Hello again

I am working on a project that started with a nice lump of Ash. During routing I caught end grain in the wrong direction which caused some tare-out, frustrating as I could have avoided it had I taken more care.
Anyway...
I have tried to repair it with original tight bond glue mixed with sawdust from the same piece of wood. Unfortunately the glue / sawdust filler has turned very dark.
I'm struggling to understand why and if there's another way or type of filler that can match ash wood. Probably too late this time as it’s done, but there will always be a next time.

Any hints or tips most welcome please,

Here’s the offending area, the marks are the approx. size of a 10p coin, (a very close up image)

View attachment 135875
Titebond does dry dark when doing this type of repair. Use water thin super glue and wood dust. If you buy the GluBoost products the activator doesn't froth up and you can keep working on it straight away until you get the results you want. The UK dealer is ToneTech, it is very expensive though for what it is. Another thing that you can try (and I had great results with it recently on a Les Paul) is powdered artist chalks and water thin superglue. You can buy sets for about a tenner. There's a brown set that goes from light beige to dark brown, just grind some down to a powder and mix until you get the colour you want. Pack it into the damaged area and apply the CA. Again the GB Activator comes in handy here.
Good luck

If it is a guitar you could always embelish the fault...... fine brass or bronze dust in epoxy glue will sand, polish & varnish beautifully.......... that is if you can be bothered with the time/expense...?

Back