Wood Filler Stain - Birch Ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob171171

Reaction score
Hi

I am using RONSEAL MULTIPURPOSE WOOD FILLER NATURAL to fill some countersunk drill holes on 12mm birch ply. Left overnight, sanded 180 grit followed by 240. Cleaned with white spirits and once dry, stained with Rustin's Wood Dye (Medium Oak), and finished with Liberon Finishing Oil.
The problem I have is, what looks' like stains from the filler, which cant be shifted with sandpaper.
What is the cause of these stains, and how can I prevent them happening.
I have attached 2 photos to illustrate the issue.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Rob

Attachments

• Photo-1.jpg
    Photo-1.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Photo-2.jpg
    Photo-2.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 98
I don't think the filler takes stain well if at all. The area looks like a sanded area of filler sanded down but still impregnating the ply surface.

I'm not sure of the order you worked, but it looks like you prepped the wood surface, then filled the holes, and then dyed, then applied oil. It's also possible you bored and filled the holes, then prepped the whole surface, including the filled holes, then dyed and polished. The result is as you see, in that the filler has worked its way into the wood grain surrounding the filled hole and it's taken up the dye and finish differently to the surrounding wood.

A better order would have been, after boring the holes, to then prep and partially finish all the remaining wood surface, then fill the holes and carefully level off the filler after it's dried without damaging the already partially finished surface. Then thoroughly clean the area around the filled holes to get rid of the filler dust (vacuum for example), and dye the filler locally and then, perhaps, apply a coat of polish just on the filled holes, and lastly apply your final coats of polish over the whole surface.

The idea is that the already partially polished surface surrounding the filled and levelled holes doesn't trap the filler dust as well as a raw wood surface, so removing the dust is much more successful. Slainte.

I haven’t used it but Sadolin do a stainable wood filler. I’ve only used their finishing filler but not tried staining that

Thank you. To clarify the issue isn't with the filler taking the stain. The issue is with the filler creating a stain around the drill hole. I 8iwll re-attempt using Sgian Dubh's approach. I will also use a recommended pre-stain conditioner and hope that this works.

I have had exactly the same issue. It seems to be that the filler seeps deep into the wood, so even after extensive sanding, it is still there around the outside of the filled 'hole', and effects the subsequent staining process. I used Everbuild filler as mentioned above. I have filled and stained things before without issue, so not sure what caused it.

Thanks Vinn, I see you are filling small nail holes whereas mine are larger M4 countersunk screws, but interesting idea.

I've got a tin of what OP appears to have and got it because it's supposed to be stainable..

doesit.png

Thank you all who helped me out here. @ScaredyCat @Vinn @craigs @Cirks @Neil Swann @Cabinetman and @Sgian Dubh
So I went back and re-cut the affected pieces. I first sealed with pre-stain conditioned, dyed & varnished, and them re-mounted the boards, at which point I applied the masking tape around each drill hole. Used the filler recommended by ScaredyCat (Jez..the fumes), sanded and coated over with dye / varnish.
The end result sees the filler sit a little proud, but at this point I decide to make it a feature, (Next time I will apply dye & varnish after filling). Have attached a few photos for end result. (Map of Iran & surrounding countries)
So again thank you all for your tips and advice. It is much appreciated, and without your help I wouldn't have completed this to the level I have.

Attachments

• New-Filled-1.jpg
    New-Filled-1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Finished-1.jpg
    Finished-1.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Finished-2.jpg
    Finished-2.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 25
Back