Wood choice for a 'buryable' treasure chest?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pren

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I've been asked by a friend to try and make a 'time capsule' for her new niece that can be buried until her 18th birthday. She's going to give her a treasure map on the day. Cool idea! :D

She'd really like it to be made from wood and look like a proper, piratey treasure chest. It's only going to be around the size of a largeish shoebox.

Any recommendations on the choice of wood, metal hinges and hasp and finish? I'm initially thinking 1" thick Iroko with some galvanised metalwork.

I'm going to suggest she bury it in a pit surrounded by large gravel to help keep water away from it. I don't really want to wrap it in plastic if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance! :D

regardless of what you do I would put the contents in plastic or an oilskin.

Gold is inert but i doubt the treasure would be as pristine as it was in the movies.

I think its unlikely that any wood is going to survive underground for 18 years, but iroko is as good a choice as any

perhaps you could heavily wax or treat the outside to improve water resistance ? Alternately you could wrap it in waxed cloth or burlap for that authentic yet waterproof look ;)

btw burying it in a pit surrounded by large gravel/ pebbles is not a good idea, as you are essentially creating a french drain soak away that will fill up with water from the surrounding soil

Better to dig a pit with such large pebbles/ hardcore below the level the box is at, then bury the box in a layer of sand so that water drains down below it

I like the idea of wrapping the contents in an oilskin. She wants it to be as Olde Piratey' ..... well, movie piratey .... as possible. Contents is going to be a bottle of whisky, todays national and local newspapers, some music and video on an USB stick and maybe some jewellery.

big soft moose":3ke6n6ea said:
btw burying it in a pit surrounded by large gravel/ pebbles is not a good idea, as you are essentially creating a french drain soak away that will fill up with water from the surrounding soil

Good point. Hadn't really considered that! Think it'll be buried on high ground, in a remote yet easily locatable spot.

I'm assuming that an oil finish would be better than a varnish as it would get into the wood instead of sit on top and potentially wear off?

pren":1tpdbkbl said:
I like the idea of wrapping the contents in an oilskin. She wants it to be as Olde Piratey' ..... well, movie piratey .... as possible. Contents is going to be a bottle of whisky, todays national and local newspapers, some music and video on an USB stick and maybe some jewellery.

I have doubts that the paper will last that long even if they are wrapped in plastic, plus will a USB be readable in 18 years ? (not trying to pour cold water but to avoid disapointment 18 years hence). Papers could be kept safe and dry in the house, may be in the envelope that will contain the treasure map

Personally I'd stick to the non perishable loot - You can get "pirate" type coins relatively cheaply for example

also does your freind own the land where this is going to be buried - I'm just thinking that a lot can change in 18 years and it would not be good to find 18 years hence that the "loot" is no longer there (or that it is but it is no longer accesible)

You're quite right, BSM. This has all pretty much just been suggested. The newspapers have already been bought but everything else is all up in the air.

I dont really know how the USB will fare underground for 18yrs. I suppose it's hard to say as they've not been around for that long for tests on their longevity. How retro is a USB stick going to seem in 18yrs?! :lol: It'd be like digging up a Betamax or a vinyl record! Not sure if the tech would even be around then to read it. Hmm. :-k

Location is a main consideration. We were thinking somewhere fairly remote, maybe on a hillside where building anything would be impossible.

Teak might be a good idea as it is pretty oily and the general wood of choice for outdoor use due to this reason.
I would be tempted to put the items in an airtight plastic bag, freezer bag kind of thing and maybe stick a silica bag in , this will remove the moisture thats in there then it will be sealed permanently dry, wrap it in authentic pirate paper job done!! Regardless of how she may feel about sealing it now she will be thankful in 18 years that its not been a waste of time....old addage of do it right first time so to speak.
USB stick in 18 years would then be a good challenge to find something to play it but no way will it be impossible plus adding to the excitment of the project. Thats my 2p worth anyway...Tony out...

xc-mtbr":1hjzpky0 said:
USB stick in 18 years would then be a good challenge to find something to play it but no way will it be impossible plus adding to the excitment of the project. Thats my 2p worth anyway...Tony out...

That is pretty cool, actually. Yeah, so sealing everthing within the chest in sturdy, airtight plastic bags is going to be a sound idea. The sylica gel bags would be good too.

I doubt a teak/Iroko chest would rot away to nothing in 18yrs (?) so even if it is a bit worse for wear it should still keep the contents in one piece as well as add to the 'pirateyness'. :lol:

Steve Maskery":3qfmq08i said:
BelgianPhil":3qfmq08i said:
You could lock everything in the box, put the box in the attic, two months before her 18th you bury the box ...
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Yes, by far the best idea. Also guards against the possibility of someone building a car park over the place where the box is buried :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Why not make her a piece of furniture with a couple of hidden compartments. The treasure map could be stored in one of them, which then takes them on a route which ultimately brings them back to the piece of furniture and provides details of how to access the second hidden compartment. Details on how to access the treasure map compartment could be written in the 18th birthday card.

Nice idea if it proves practible?

I have been keeping a Camcorder record for my Grand children plus some bottles of wine (of a quality that will keep) and Port of their birthday year vintage.

The Eldest is 18 next year, so not long to wait to try them out? :)

Rod

Vacuum seal the bag. That should keep the papers dry. A Cd or Dvd would be a better bet I would have thought to store info on as there are no electrical gubbins involved then.
Whatever I think its a great idea and it would spoil it, if the box was kept somewhere else until just before the time to open it. It would lose its magic.

John

johnjin":xe5u6xjt said:
Whatever I think its a great idea and it would spoil it, if the box was kept somewhere else until just before the time to open it. It would lose its magic.

John

I agree Of course storing it somewhere else then burying it just before is the 'practical' solution, it doesn't have the same romance as having something buried for 18 years just waiting to be discovered!

teak or iroko, or any other oil rich hardwood for that matter, should have no problems with 18 years underground.

the tricky (but not impossible bit) bit would be the seal around the lid. a decent window seal in a rebate should do the trick.

an apprentice of mine once told me teak was good for 100 years without degradation of any kind. dont know how true that was, but be interesting to know what this door was made of......:

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/21666 ... r-old-door

jeff

Hi,

I remember the Blue Peter time capsule, opened live on TV, it was all ruined.

I don't think any thing will last 18 years underground apart from pottery.

Pete

Back