Wood chips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mix damp newspaper, press into tubes, fire logs for garden fire.

Or add coke of coal dust for a better heat.

Sounds like you're generating more wood chips than my woodturning, but I built a press to convert woodchips and newspaper into wood briquettes. Not an original idea, but plans available online from leehite.org

I do the same with the cardboard boxes cereals, frozen foods etc. come in - I hot melt them closed. Don't throw the stuff in loose, it can blow back in your face.

As do I since Phil posted this tip a couple of years back.

Sounds like you're generating more wood chips than my woodturning, but I built a press to convert woodchips and newspaper into wood briquettes. Not an original idea, but plans available online from leehite.org
I used to do this but it almost became a full time job for three months of the year. I even mounted the press on an external wall & used a bottle jack to squeeze the water out. In the end it became too much like hard work & the briquettes never gave out the same amount of heat as logs.

If dry both shavings and fine dust will burn well if enclosed. Kitchen towel and bog rolls stuffed and sealed with pound shop masking tape make good fuel.

When I took up woodturning in July last year, I was surprised to discover just how big a pile of wood chips are produced from a single log. It does become a bit of a problem after a while. Wood chips do make good mulch for the garden but they have to rot down for a few months before applying. Otherwise they deplete the soil of nitrogen as it takes a lot of nitrogen to break them down (adding urine helps this process... just sayin). They can also be added to compost but the same applies. If you have friends who keep pets such as rabbits and hamsters, great (but be aware that some woods are toxic and shouldn't be used)... but, unless your friend has a zoo, you'll be producing more wood chips than they can use. In short: none of the methods of utilising and consuming wood chips can keep up with the rate and volume at which I produce them. Does anyone have any ideas or are we all in the same boat?
We have an outdoor dry compost loo that our camping friends use, these shavings are perfect for that.

Back