Wood Buying?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mahking51":3s44cyzh said:
John
Welcome to the nuthouse!
Please post details of your media centre as it comes along; a project I am very interested in.
Regards
Martin

Certainly Martin... I'm going to create seperate a section for all the hard drives as these create a heck of a load of heat and were causing loads of problems with the motherboard overheating. I couldn't even reboot the thing in the heatwave last summer due to the cpu temp spiking at 72C. I had to shutdown and leave it off for 5 mins before rebooting.

On the project itself I'll post in the Project section as this thread is rapidly going off topic heh. I tend to take photos of everything as I do it just as a reminder in the future as my memory is awful! This means I will be able to post a reasonable project status here (and so others can laugh at my crappy skills heh).

Neomorph":93v8s662 said:
others can laugh at my crappy skills.

Oh goody - I could do with a chuckle :lol: !

Actually, one of the things that I really like about this forum is how people are very good at praising the positive elements of projects that are posted here. If there are ever any negative comments, they're usually mentioned very diplomatically and in terms of constructive criticism. The emphasis is on supporting and learning from each other, rather than competing against each other (except when we have 'official' competitions, of course).

Long may it continue!

Gill

I'd rather have constructive criticism than praise for something that has problems. You can only learn from things if someone points out the problem. If nobody says anything then you can go around with your head in the clouds not knowing that you actually do have probs.

Actually I think I'm going to go back to college to do a woodworking refresher course. When I was back at school I used to always get double A's in woodwork and metalwork but that was a LONG time ago and I've really forgot a load of stuff.

Would you believe that the media center project was because I bought a 6 drawer "antique pine effect" carcase that looked so damned false that I trashed it after 3 months of cringing comparing it to the real antique pine furniture I have in my bedroom :roll: Unfortunately this means that my server is on without any sound dampening 24/7 near my bed meaning I have to use earplugs at night!

The reason the server is in my bedroom is to remove the server from the living room with the wiring going through the wall. All this means that when I'm watching TV I don't get that horrible noise from the servers hard drives and fans. I'm eventually going to change it to silent water cooling which will reduce the noise and the new carcase will have soundproof linings.

Arrgghh... I should be putting all this in the project forum.... Oh well I'll copy it to my design spec and post it there later.

Server noise

Thats new to me, I am still not broadband but thinking I could have a router set up and go broadband. Is this noisy?

devonwoody":3a23a6gj said:
Server noise

Thats new to me, I am still not broadband but thinking I could have a router set up and go broadband. Is this noisy?

My server is noisy as it has a total of seven hard drives and the case has to work hard to reduce the temp in the case so they spin at max speed making it sound like an aeroplane trying to take off (and failing).

Broadband doesn't cause any noise as it is just a little black box with flashing lights. Doesn't create much heat either. A router (PC Networking not Woodworking :wink: ) is essential for me as I have several PC's connected to the broadband connection. I have a router/firewall/print server plus another small network switch and a wireless access point to connect everything in my flat. All this is going into the media server cabinet. Because all this is going to be soundproofed it will also mean I will have to install some slow speed high volume fans to shift air through the cabinet which is going to be a challenge.

Back