wood books at the library

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren D

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently devouring information about woodworking and was after the "Building Kitchen Cabinets" book by Jim Tolpin, around a tenner at Amazon. But then I saw a comment that the book is only good for face frame stuff and a bit American, etc. On the off chance, I thought I'd give my local library a shot and a bit of surfing comes up with an online catalogue of all their books - in fact the whole of the Nottinghamshire library system is online. So I type in Jim Tolpin and would you believe it, there he is.
I pop to the library expecting to be sent to a dusty corner in the basement but no, they have shelves of books on woodworking and I end up coming home with Tolpin and 5 other books, leaving around 80 others behind to look forward to in the future. Admittedly some of the books are 30 years old, but it doesn't really matter and they don't really date - I think I saw a comment from Philly that woodworking peaked in the 1800's!
So that's it really - if you are looking for books on woodworking, give your library a go.
Darren
PS. I really enjoyed the Jim Tolpin book and thought it had a lot of good tips and ideas. Well worth a read.

Darren
Well worth checking out your local library! Glad you liked Tolpins book.
And yup-definitely peaked mid 1800's-unless you count MDF :lol:
Philly :D

Philly":xh4sisp0 said:
And yup-definitely peaked mid 1800's-unless you count MDF :lol:
Philly :D

Does anyone count MDF?
MDF has its uses,but it's just not as much fun as using real wood !

Good tip!

I tend not to think about the liabrary anymore, when I'm looking for books - I usually buy them, or look on the net - I've forgotten how useful the liabrary actually is. :oops:

I still have a kid's book which I borrowed in the 70's......Hate to think what the fine would be now!! :shock:

Back