Wood blemishes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
I have noticed that not only are prices rising but quality is heading in the opposite direction.
I bought some 119 by 12 t& g the other day, the number of imperfections seems to be up 110% just like the price.
Anyone know a handy way to camouflage them.
They're sometimes not deep enough to fill.
They're mostly one to two inches long.

Attachments

• IMG_20210909_194406_689.jpg
    IMG_20210909_194406_689.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210909_194415_220.jpg
    IMG_20210909_194415_220.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 19
Is it being painted? If so, you could carefully increase the imperfections depth with a chisel and then fill. Probably best to wipe the knots / resin lines with meths before filler. If you want to go full hog, hit it ( not literally ) with a hot air gun to make the resin come out, then chisel off when cooled, then meths...

Is it being painted? If so, you could carefully increase the imperfections depth with a chisel and then fill. Probably best to wipe the knots / resin lines with meths before filler. If you want to go full hog, hit it ( not literally ) with a hot air gun to make the resin come out, then chisel off when cooled, then meths...
And use knotting to stop bleed out into the paint in the future.

For a problem like this, I used to cut the imperfection out with a chisel, A 'V' shaped depth, tapered ate each end, then cut a a similar bit of wood so it roughly fills the cut-out and projects slightly above the surface A bit of glue and clamp the piece really tight using a flat surface to force the wood into the 'V' cut. Leave overnight, then unclamp and let it stand for a few hours to let the wood recover from compression, then sand it. I found if I could match the wood and grain, I could do an almost invisible repair.
EDIT. If there is resin in the flaw, I would remove as much as possible when cutting out the flaw.

Back