Wood Advice for Sign Routing Kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJM

Reaction score
HI All,

I bought a Sign Routing kit from Rutland when on offer and am very pleased with it. I have now used it for the very first time and was initially very pleased with the result until I found the mistake that I had made. Because of the size of sign I only had a piece of plywood in a big enough size so thought I would use that and put edging on it to cover the ply end and the after painting the letters, then lacquer it. Good Plan so far.

After Routing sign was pleased with result, next stage spray painted over letters with no masking and figured would be able to sand off overspray and leave beautiful coloured sign text.

What I had not appreciated was that although viewing quickly from the end they seem quite thick laminations, on closer inspection there is a very much thinner top layer before the first thick layer, which when sanding down to eliminate overspray, sanded through top thinner layer and exposed darker layer below.

Decided that I will only use solid wood in future to prevent this problem. Therein lies the problem what wood to use for signs as in this particular sign which was 330mm x 350mm and I am unable to get wood of this size without being part of a man made sheet.

I have therefore appreciated I need to find a type of wood to suit indoor and outside that comes in a width that would on a single width work for a small sign, and when biscuited two pieces together joined would do for a larger sign.

Views and Advice Please, about best wood type, size, width probably 18-25mm thick and available in 2.4 metre lengths and where best to obtain in Edinburgh/East Coast Area

Thanks in Advance

Peter Metcalf

Maybe seal/varnish the ply before routing and paint. That would limit the paint absorption and need less sanding off. If you used water based paints you could probably wipe most of the excess off when still wet. Or rout through a masking film.

Hi PJM, plywood won’t stand up outdoors especially as you have cut through the surface, so, solid timber, you have already said that you can biscuit two bits together for wider signs, well that’s what you do for the smaller ones as well, I normally cut my wood to about 5 inches across and then rejoin with the grain alternated.
I taught myself in a morning to hand cut the letters for a church noticeboard I made, it’s very easy with the right v chisel.
376BCC21-6BFC-45D2-8A1B-074C41CC85BD.jpeg

You will be able to get wood that wide but its much more money for wide boards. Just join some smaller boards to get the size, use a durable timber and titebond 3 or PU glue. Any timber suitable for exterior joinery will be fine.
Maybe offcuts of laminated wooden worktop in Iroko or something like that might work. Find a local joiner or kitchen manufacturer and see what they have lying about in the corner.

Ollie

Back