Won't somebody think of "young people"? (Edit: and No, older people aren't "to blame")

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned a few different rentals over the years, it is not easy money as many people seem to think. I find unless you get a really good long term tenant (which are few and far between) it is hardly worth doing.

I have owned a few different rentals over the years, it is not easy money as many people seem to think. I find unless you get a really good long term tenant (which are few and far between) it is hardly worth doing.
Glad to hear it!

I would make it mandatory for any business that owns land which able to be used for building housing and or business premises on and has such permisionto release it for sale, if they have not started such a project on that land within 12 months of purchase and if it has not been completed within 18 months of the original estimated time. no ands ifs or buts, That way all the land held by the builders and the supermarket chains etc would be available rather than be hoarded just to stop a rival building there. I would also make it a legal requirement for the government to allocate funds to councils to build new social housing and at a level that would eliminate homelessnes in each councils area.

The houses won't evaporate and could be available to buy instead. Or to buy for housing associations or local authorities.
Very few landlords actually build houses they are just intermediaries and serve no useful purpose beyond a low skill element of property management, which they tend to do badly.
The biggest problem with housing cost is builders selling for what they can get rather than a fixed profit margin which would in tern make affordable housing actually affordable pulling a sizable chunk of people away from renting and therefore forcing rental prices down blaming people who rent out properties in isolation is short sighted and alludes to a limited grasp on the issue and don't get me started on the rediculous amount that housing associations overpay for houses from preferred builder's

I would make it mandatory for any business that owns land which able to be used for building housing and or business premises on and has such permisionto release it for sale, if they have not started such a project on that land within 12 months of purchase and if it has not been completed within 18 months of the original estimated time. no ands ifs or buts, That way all the land held by the builders and the supermarket chains etc would be available rather than be hoarded just to stop a rival building there. I would also make it a legal requirement for the government to allocate funds to councils to build new social housing and at a level that would eliminate homelessnes in each councils area.
That's nice but most of the homeless people I've spoken to on the street don't want a house so making houses available to these people without first dealing with the assorted issues that have lead them being there won't achieve much

Homeless people are not just on the street, they are families living in a 1 room B&B. If good quality, properly insulated and adequately sized housing was built with proper amenities then most of the problems would be solved. Note I did not say all but most and at a far cheaper cost than many other alternatives once the ripple effect of jobs, wages, shopping etc is taken into account

That's nice but most of the homeless people I've spoken to on the street don't want a house so making houses available to these people without first dealing with the assorted issues that have lead them being there won't achieve much

The evidence suggests that homeless people don't want to deal with (and/or have previous experience of failing at dealing with) the bureaucratic hoops required to get housed.

The success of housing first strongly suggests that quite literally just giving people a place to live no strings attached, then working on dealing with any specific issued they have is quite effective, including the programme in greater Manchester.

It's notable that in the US "Housing First" has proved to be so much more effective (and thus cheaper) that it's recieved bipartisan support!

Interesting thread, good reminder of the privilege I have. I'm late thirties, owned a house since just before the financial crisis.

My parents are "well off" now, though I now it was a struggle for them when they were younger. This gives me a lot of security which I am grateful for.

I'm still good friends with a lot of the kids I went to school with, who all have different family financial backgrounds and all have varying jobs, from teachers to supermarket workers. They all own houses. I know there are people struggling in my area, but I think it's probably different up here than it is down south.

don't get me started on the rediculous amount that housing associations overpay for houses from preferred builder's

I deal with central government and local authority procurement on a semi-regular basis...

I'm consistently shocked by how often they're willing to buy a service with markup, which they could deliver substantially cheaper in-house if they were willing to commit, sometimes even when they already have the capability in house.

It's almost like they've been brainwashed into believing they're totally incompetent and need the private sector to deliver everything for them regardless of factors which are stacked in their favour like economies of scale or natural monopolies.

Continued and increasingly dismissive and scornful treatment of young people who attempt to raise these issues, (or any other political issues which they feel deeply about) in the UK's (frankly abysmal) print media.
If you really think it is such a widespread problem why not do something about it. Become active. develop strong arguments. Write to the abysmal print media. Write to MP's Don't just make your point here. Do something about it. Don't take no for an answer.
If what you are saying is correct, others will listen, but you will have to make a bullet proof argument. I totally disagree with you blaming the elderly and with today's political correctness. It is not a good stance to take. It seems you are blaming one part of society for all it's problems.

I deal with central government and local authority procurement on a semi-regular basis...

I'm consistently shocked by how often they're willing to buy a service with markup, which they could deliver substantially cheaper in-house if they were willing to commit, sometimes even when they already have the capability in house.

It's almost like they've been brainwashed into believing they're totally incompetent and need the private sector to deliver everything for them regardless of factors which are stacked in their favour like economies of scale or natural monopolies.
I think they probably don't have the basic skills in house!!! to do a housing development.
Most housing social housing is subcontracted to arm's length quangos who consist of "management", housing officers and maintainance men. I generalise obviously...

Cheers James

The problem with central government and local government bodies is that historically everyone always employee's someone slightly less intelligent than themselves so as to not lose there job to them in the future the problem now is that they've got the point that most villages are now missing there idiots

Become active. develop strong arguments. Write to the abysmal print media. Write to MP's Don't just make your point here. Do something about it. Don't take no for an answer.

I'm as active in local politics as I can be without compromising my professional relationships, and I'm an active contributor to central government policy forums, both on my own account as a technical expert in a niche field, and on behalf of Industry and professional bodies.

I don't get anything for all the unpaid work I do on policy, but I genuinely believe that the UK can do so much better so I spend time making the arguments and collaborating with colleagues who also have the desire to see positive change.

I've had the odd letter published by the FT and the Gruaniad, but know better than to think I'd get typeset in the Mail or Express whilst wholly contradicting their editorial stance.

I totally disagree with you blaming the elderly and with today's political correctness. It is not a good stance to take. It seems you are blaming one part of society for all it's problems.

I'm not blaming the elderly per se, I'm saying they're currently the net beneficiary of a particular set of circumstances, it's not their fault but its still where we find ourselves.

If I was going to assign blame, I could start with young people ourselves taking some of it, we don't vote in the same numbers as the older generation and until very recently we've been much less informed about how politics affect their own interests.

However the bulk of the blame lies with a short sighted a political class that's unwilling to address serious issues within our society (which they all claim to value so much) because it's quite complex to discuss that with the nation, compared to saying whatever will get a decent block of voters come election time (even saying inconsistent things to different voters via the magic of targeted ads on the internet), then do whatever seems expedient once in power.

Same as it ever was right? Doesn't mean it's any more right?

Last edited:
The problem with central government and local government bodies is that historically everyone always employee's someone slightly less intelligent than themselves so as to not lose there job to them in the future the problem now is that they've got the point that most villages are now missing there idiots

Lots of them can't even spell and get grammar correct..................

I think they probably don't have the basic skills in house!!! to do a housing development.
Most housing social housing is subcontracted to arm's length quangos who consist of "management", housing officers and maintainance men. I generalise obviously...

Cheers James
I watched a program where a developer was explaining why his development was such a good deal for the housing association at 5million for 10 houses! I only payed attention as it was the Welsh village that my father in law came from and at the time houses where selling for about 40k in the village

Is that aimed at me? I've managed to rise above dyslexia and done ok for myself Its unlikely I'll ever be rich but I'll always have enough

Yes it was as a joke. I have dyslexia as well and I've done alright. Sorry if you're touchy about it.

Back