Wonky thicknessing table on SD310

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Startrite SD310 planer thicknesser that I bought about a year ago. It was clear from early on that while the planing was OK the thicknessing table was out of true. I was busy with other stuff and have only just now got round to a close examination ... and I can't quite make sense of what's going on. The thicknessing table is not parallel to the cutter block: when the table is near the bottom of its travel it slops down to the left; but if you raise it up to the top of its travel it slopes down to the right. It seems firmly attached, very little play. But I'm getting the impression that the actual amount of slope is erratic, depending not just on what you the table height to, but also what the table height previously was.

One very basic thing that has me scratching my head is how to get access to the lower portions of the table riser mechanism: I can't see how to remove panels to get in there .... am I being stupid? or are you perhaps expected just to tip the machine over and go in from underneath?

BTW, I should mention in case it's relevant that the table riser mechanism emits a whirring noise when operated.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated!

Josh

Hi

There will be a removable panel to access the lower compartment, no one would expect to go in from underneath. It is probably at the rear and you may need to remove the fence mounting.

Thanks Roy. The panel below the fence mounting comes away easily enough and exposes the chains, but only as far down as the base of the thicknesser aperture. Best bet for access below there looks to be panel where raise/lower wheel is, but I can't see any way to move it.
PXL_20210123_190651621.jpg
PXL_20210123_190708218.jpg
PXL_20210123_190720708.jpg
PXL_20210123_190127261.jpg

Back