Wonder Puzzle again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenfield Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Phil, you said you had trouble getting the puzzle apart and I just thought of something when I was cutting one out today. In the picture you will see the clamps and blocks of wood I use when cutting it. The first side it doesn't mean a whole lot to use them but it does give you something to hold on to. When I get the first side finished I flip it over on the other and clamp it, this will keep the pieces from moving around. That maybe why you couldn't get your puzzle apart.

Bob

114114910.jpg

Another reason for the puzzle not coming apart would be that the blade was bending during the cut......I know that one from experience..(Very frustrating to spend all the time cutting and the piece won't come apart......been there done that a few times..) ....go slow in thick wood and make sure you are letting the blade catch up to the cut and most important........your table must be dead on zero.....just cause the gauge says it is does not mean the the table is 90 degrees to the blade.....
One of my Hawks when at a perfect 90 degrees to the blade the gauge says it's just a bit off to the left of zero. Simple test would be to take a 2" thick scrap block and cut into it about 1/8" then turn it around so the cut is behind the blade......If your table is 90 degrees to the blade.....the blade will fall back into the cut.....if not you can tell which way to tweak it and then test again. Your table being off a bit won't show up that much till you start cutting thick wood like the "Wonder Puzzle"...I didn't realize mine was off till I tried cutting compounds from 1.5" blocks.....Mine wouldn't come apart either.....
Lin

Bob, Got one drying from glue.....Two pieces of 3/4" butternut with a 1/4" piece of aspen in the middle...Plan to cut it tomorrow.....Hopefully mine will come apart.....lol If it goes well I will start rummaging thru my cutoffs for pieces to use to make more.....Been cutting ornaments off and on lately.....24 done of the 150 I hope to find the time to cut by Thanksgiving.....I have that tree and star pattern printed out that you did from CCW....Plan to lay them out on wood also this week-end.
Lin

Hi Bob
Thanks very much. Will give it a bash. Eldest heir said i should make it longer, leaving a section uncut at the ends and then saw that off when completed.
(i replied to your e-mail, but ATT.Net throws it out as spam. not quite sure why. had the same problem last time)
Cheers
Phil

:D :D :D

Back