Women drivers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one that gets my goat down here in rural Devon is either not being able to reverse, or understand the nature of bottlenecks.

A couple of weeks back I was on my way to the dump with a trailer full of rubbish when I met one of the "twinset and pearls" brigade coming down the lane. I was in full view, but she drove straight through a passing place and then stopped in the narrowest part of the lane. Did she back up 5 yards? Did she pineapple! I had to reverse a large trailer about 50 yards down a narrow lane to a farm gate and then tuck in. And when she drove past she didn't even acknowledge my existence!

Then there are those who slow right down in the passing place and stop just as it narrows again and wait to see if you can squeeze through, and when you can't, they make a big issue of having to reverse 6 feet to where they should have stopped in the first place. Sometimes when they back up they ricochet off both hedges.

On one occasion when this happened, there was a passing place about 4 car lengths behind her, and I knew for a fact there was nothing within 200 yards behind me. I motioned to her to back up and she shook her head. I stopped the engine, reached for a newspaper and spread it out across the steering wheel and waited. I could see there was a furious exchange going on inside the car and after about 3 mins a man got out from the passengers seat, walked around the car, hauled the woman out and then he backed up. I gave the usual raised fingers of thanks and drove on my way.

RogerM":2evidydu said:
On one occasion when this happened, there was a passing place about 4 car lengths behind her, and I knew for a fact there was nothing within 200 yards behind me. I motioned to her to back up and she shook her head. I stopped the engine, reached for a newspaper and spread it out across the steering wheel and waited. I could see there was a furious exchange going on inside the car and after about 3 mins a man got out from the passengers seat, walked around the car, hauled the woman out and then he backed up. I gave the usual raised fingers of thanks and drove on my way.

Love it! That's exactly what I have done in the past.

Cowboy _Builder":3oj1sqri said:
As for women drivers ,they are not genetically predisposed to spatial awareness but are predisposed to never giving way or being wrong and most shouldn't be allowed to drive ,I spent years looking for Miss Right but i didn't find out until i'd married her that her first name was Always , but having said that there are some very good women drivers , i'm married to a Advanced Driving Instructor , she's so good she can drive from the back seat .
So how are you getting on ? Does the doc think you will be able to walk again ?

RogerM":2eqhkxv6 said:
Nor do they understand the concept of "merging in turn" when 2 lanes become one.
I understand the concept, but the not the wording.
Does 'merge in turn' mean merge in the turn or merge alternately? Discuss :twisted:
chris

Grahamshed":24pf5vx3 said:
Cowboy _Builder":24pf5vx3 said:
As for women drivers ,they are not genetically predisposed to spatial awareness but are predisposed to never giving way or being wrong and most shouldn't be allowed to drive ,I spent years looking for Miss Right but i didn't find out until i'd married her that her first name was Always , but having said that there are some very good women drivers , i'm married to a Advanced Driving Instructor , she's so good she can drive from the back seat .
So how are you getting on ? Does the doc think you will be able to walk again ?

No doctors or hospitals involved as she will never see this ....and i follow instruction when driving .

Ps ...she is a very good driver ,she used to drive my 7.5 ton lorry and my daughters horse box.

markturner":5kles3no said:
@cowboy builder - see you are sometimes in Almeria? Know it well, done at least 10 track days there....great roads & scenery
Hi Mark .
The track is about 40 miles or so from where i live when there ,I've never done a track day there , yes the roads are very good but the police are stopping everyone now for speeding even if you're speeding or not ,so it's taken the fun out of it .

soulboy":2ott3vb4 said:
RogerM":2ott3vb4 said:
Nor do they understand the concept of "merging in turn" when 2 lanes become one.
I understand the concept, but the not the wording.
Does 'merge in turn' mean merge in the turn or merge alternately? Discuss :twisted:
chris

There is no hope for some people! :D

Soulboy is right. The phrase originated in Yorkshire where the correct wording was 'Merge in t'turn'. But then with typical Yorkshire 'frugality' they dropped the t' 8)

Latest posts

Back