Wolves in triplicate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are three of several wolves I have cut. Two are done portrait style from 1/8" redoak ply and the segmented wolf was done from 3/4" aspen as a X-mas gift for my sister. Her last name is "Wolfe" The segmented wolf is over 2' long.
Lin
watcherslg.jpg

segmentedwolflg.jpg

threewolveslg.jpg

Terrific scrolling, Lin. I presume the portraits are made out of Baltic birch plywood? The intarsia wolf is a piece I'd love to have a go at one day, but I'll have to learn how do intarsia first ;) !

Gill

Gill, You could do the "Wolf"......I did it "Segmented" style rather than the harder "Intarsia" Hardest part of doing something that large in segmentation is finding a piece of wood that large.....You on the other hand can joint up your wood and make a piece as large as you want. (I will get there someday also) The pattern is laid on the board all as one piece. You need two patterns. One for cutting and one to lay the pieces back onto as you cut. Number your laid out pattern and as you cut put the same numbers on the bottom of the pieces and place them on the laid out pattern. Then shape your pieces.....taking care not to sand off the bottom of the piece.....only the top and part way down the sides to keep the fit. It's just a very large puzzle that has been shaped and stained....
Still takes some time and the shaping is the hard part of the process. So many ways to do that and each person has there point of view of the piece and how is suppose to look when finished. This one after looking back at it.....I should've taken the back legs down a lot more than what I did to show depth. I learn a bit more with each one I do....
I love your marquetry lady.....Got some more pics of it we can see?
Lin

Latest posts

Back