Woden X111 holdfast

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dm65

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had a Woden X111 holdfast donated to the tools collection - thanks to my mate lurcher =D>

IMAG0521(2).jpg

This doesn't have the collar so am wondering if this is actually needed - am I right in thinking the collar is more for protection of the bench hole ?

Anyone using a holdfast got any advice re fitting (!?) and using these things as I'm a holdfast virgin

Attachments

• IMAG0521(2).jpg
    IMAG0521(2).jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 5,352
As long as you countersink the holes in your bench, I can't imagine any serious problems using your holdfast without collars, although collars should be available via Axminster and Tilgear. :)

GazPal":6hta2yvd said:
...collars should be available via Axminster and Tilgear. :)
Holdfasts of this design came in at least two sizes (Record's #145 & #146) and possibly more sizes.

The collars available today fit only the #146 holdfast.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":198tbiae said:
GazPal":198tbiae said:
...collars should be available via Axminster and Tilgear. :)
Holdfasts of this design came in at least two sizes (Record's #145 & #146) and possibly more sizes.

The collars available today fit only the #146 holdfast.

Cheers, Vann.

Yes, so the next step is to identify the size of this particular Woden holdfast. :)

Thanks all

Had a measure and the stem that goes through the bench is 1"

Had a quick look on Axminster and Tilear (first time I've come across this site) and can't find any collars for sale

Vann":1k3s7ih6 said:
I see the 1938 Marples catalogue listed 5 different sizes, from the No.0 with a 10" x ¾" pillar, to the No.4 with a 18" x 1¼" pillar (refer page 66).

The pamphlet that came with my Record holdfast "Record bench holdfast - its use and maintenance" is not so helpfull. It gives all the cutout sizes for the collar, but with regard to holdfast sizes only gives:
"Maximum reach" - 5 7/8" (150mm) for the #145; 7 1/16 (180mm) for the #146; and "Maximum opening" - 6 7/8" (175mm) for the #145; 7 5/8" (195mm) for the #146;

Cheers, Vann

Found the following from an old thread signed off by a certain bugbear back in 05

Woden (not shown in catalogue, but I recognise the model #)
Labelled as reach, opening, diameter of hole for collar
X110, 5 7/8, 6 7/8, 1 1/2
X111, 7 1/16, 7 5/8, 1 3/4
X112, 8 5/8, 9, 2

I have a steel plate that could be used as a collar if they are needed but rounding over or countersinking the hole sounds easier and cheaper :)

dm65":11g0c7fr said:
Woden (not shown in catalogue, but I recognise the model #)
Labelled as reach, opening, diameter of hole for collar
X110, 5 7/8, 6 7/8, 1 1/2 = Record #145
X111, 7 1/16, 7 5/8, 1 3/4 = Record #146
X112, 8 5/8, 9, 2
Those collar holes also match the Record equivilents (although the collars are flanged so the flange diameters require larger cutouts to a depth of 5/16").

So if you can source some new collars, at least they'll fit your X111 holdfast.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":1onjaj3i said:
Those collar holes also match the Record equivilents (although the collars are flanged so the flange diameters require larger cutouts to a depth of 5/16").

So if you can source some new collars, at least they'll fit your X111 holdfast.

Cheers, Vann.
Cheers Vann, that's useful to know

Tilgear catalogue has spare collar for Boston holdfast, Part Code BSTN107CL. These collars accept 146 size holdfasts.

rxh":36vj3c5z said:
Tilgear catalogue has spare collar for Boston holdfast, Part Code BSTN107CL. These collars accept 146 size holdfasts.
Well done - thanks for that rxh

If postage wasn't so high, I'd have one ordered now - will have to have a look around to see what else I 'need'

Hi Folks.
I too have one of these Woden jobbies and several modern,smaller ones from a mail order company.
The Woden is definately too big for the new collars.
I have not gotten around to setting them up yet and have a question for you all.
What way up do the collars go? Is it circular piece on bench surface,or tuther way up?

Bryan.

The collars are recessed into the bench surface as shown in the photo below. The Boston collar as sold by Tilgear has a hole diameter of just under an inch (24.3mm) and the Boston holdfast has a stem diameter of 23 mm. If your Woden has about the same stem diameter it should work with this collar. I have a Marples 146 with a stem diameter of 22.5mm and that works fine in the Boston collar. Holdfasts become much more useful if used in pairs. I have three collars in my bench top, which allows provides more work holding options.

Attachments

• IMG_1119C.jpg
    IMG_1119C.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 4,946
  • IMG_1120C.jpg
    IMG_1120C.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 4,946
rxh":1788zj8u said:
The collars are recessed into the bench surface as shown in the photo below. The Boston collar as sold by Tilgear has a hole diameter of just under an inch (24.3mm) and the Boston holdfast has a stem diameter of 23 mm. If your Woden has about the same stem diameter it should work with this collar. I have a Marples 146 with a stem diameter of 22.5mm and that works fine in the Boston collar. Holdfasts become much more useful if used in pairs. I have three collars in my bench top, which allows provides more work holding options.
Thanks for taking the time on this rxh - certainly appreciated by me

I was worried when I first created this post that everyone would start throwing rotten veg at me, but it seems to have developed legs :)

And for what it's worth... my Record No.145 holdfast has a pillar 215mm (8½ in.) long (to the bottom of the arm) and is ~19.5mm diameter. So it's roughly the equivent to the Marples No.0.

However the pillar is slightly thicker towards the bottom end and won't fit the ¾in. dog holes in my workbench top.

Cheers, Vann.

well den you have got alot of options mate as you and i are of a simlar ilk maybe some kind sole will post a picture or a diagram of the collar
and we could try and get some made to fit wat we need as i have 2 of the holdfasts i could do with at least 4 collars 2 for bench in the workshop and 2 for the bench outside am sure a welder could make us something up mate
lurcher

Back