Woden Works, Wednesbury

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Strange question, but would anyone know where in Wednesbury the Woden works were?

I know it was roughly in the Darlaston area, but thats it.

I ask only because I recently bought a Woden catalogue and it features a photo of their rather substantial works, and I'm curious to see if anything remains.

Like I said, strange question.

Cheers

Regan

Hi Regan,

Log onto www.multimap.com, set the country as Great Britain and type in Woden Road and you will see a Woden Road between Wolverhampton and Willenhall. Whether this road is where the old Woden works was actually located, or has subsequently been so named I don't know.

But at least it's a start.

Regards.

Regan

I have a contact with family members that speak about Woden researching for you, in the mean time this info. has emerged.

If it was an Iron works, there was one located on the corner of Darlaston Road and Woden Road West. A more recent map puts the "Wednesbury Trading Estate" at the location. Nearby was the "Patent shaft Steel works" on junction of Holyhead Road and Portway Road.

CHJ":lda0x9wh said:
I have a contact with family members that speak about Woden researching for you, in the mean time this info. has emerged.

If it was an Iron works, there was one located on the corner of Darlaston Road and Woden Road West. A more recent map puts the "Wednesbury Trading Estate" at the location. Nearby was the "Patent shaft Steel works" on junction of Holyhead Road and Portway Road.
Woden Works was the name of the works, so that seems likely. Chas, you're researchers might have luck looking for information on "Steel Nut and Joseph Hampton", which is what Woden were called before they switched.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":360o6ffx said:
Chas, you're researchers might have luck looking for information on "Steel Nut and Joseph Hampton", which is what Woden were called before they switched.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for that extra snippetAlf

My thanks to everyone for their help, and advice!

Today I will try and scan the picture and post it here, although I doubt it'll show up very well.

The interesting thing about Steel Nut & Joseph Hampton, is that Record traded under the auspices of C & J Hampton, so there must have been a connection. Although Woden claims over a hundred years of experience in my catalgue dated 1954, which means they must have been bought by Record at somepoint.

There was also a foundry in Wednesbury called Elwell's which could have been a precursor, but I can't find anything about it.

I guess I'm trying to find out what I can because there is not nearly as much informatiion on some of the English tool companies, as there is on Stanley.

Anyways, thanks for your help,

Cheers

Regan

Some previous whitterings here. According to The Workbench Book, Woden's Hampton came first, and Charles and Joseph, of Record fame, waltzed off to Sheffield and started ripping off the Old Man's vice design. Whether it can be believed though, who can say?

Cheers, Alf

Previous posts suggesting the location of Woden was at the junction of Woden Road and Darlaston Road are wrong. I think that folks are getting confused with the Old Park ironworks or another foundry.
The Woden Works was between Franchise Street and All Saints Road in Fallings Heath. Franchise Street is to the front of the picture on a Steel Nut company advert that can be viewed on the Wednesbury local history website.

Alan Price":28lkj9s9 said:
Previous posts suggesting the location of Woden was at the junction of Woden Road and Darlaston Road are wrong. I think that folks are getting confused with the Old Park ironworks or another foundry.
The Woden Works was between Franchise Street and All Saints Road in Fallings Heath. Franchise Street is to the front of the picture on a Steel Nut company advert that can be viewed on the Wednesbury local history website.

Agreed.

Woden1.gif

This from research on the town...

The Steel Nut & Joseph Hampton Limited made a wide range of products at their Fallings Heath works. As well as nuts, bolts, set screws, and studs they produced a wide range of bright drawn steel bars, and tools, including vices for wood and steel, clamps, dowelling jigs, holdfasts, and wood planes. In 1955 the company produced its patented quick release screw vice. The factory was known locally as "the Woden".

Latest posts

Back