• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Woden - who they?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

RoyS

Established Member
Reaction score
A couple of recent threads have referred to Woden tools (sash cramps, planes). I have a Woden engineer's vice, model 190/7A with 5.75" capacity and a quick release. It was my father's and, I think, must be 50+ years old. It is very heavy and very dirty!

I have never previously heard of Woden - can anyone tell me anything about them?

THanks in anticipation - Roy

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Roy,

I surely can. (Okay, who groaned? :p ) They started life as Steel Nut and Joseph Hampton Ltd in Wednesbury around 1952 according to British Planemakers. However I think this date may only apply to their plane line, which started with their takeover of WS Manufacturing Co Ltd in that year. They went on until 1964 when C & J Hampton (no relation? Or maybe? No one seems to know) took them over, better known to you and I as Record Tools. Woden was SN&JHs trademark, possibly chosen 'cos it was a lot quicker to say than Steel Nut & Joseph Hampton :roll: , and they hung out at the Woden Works. Evidence suggests they changed their name to Woden Tools Ltd around 1958. Well known for their range of vices, cramps and so forth. I have a little metalworking vice of theirs and a W78 rebate plane, and very lovely they are too. Their biggest claim to fame as far as I'm concerned is their placing of a front knob on the two rail rebate plane while it was under their jurisdiction in the two rail rebate inheritance. I know, sad ain't I? :oops:

Cheers, Alf

RoyS

Established Member
Reaction score
Alf - many thanks for this; your reference library must be really impressive!

I'm pretty sure that it is only coincidence that my father spent his early years in Willenhall, a few miles from Wednesbury.

Roy