Woden 192 Vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Couple of weeks back I was seeking advice regarding acquiring a second hand Record 52 vice, seemed like a good deal at £35 but unfortunately it had sold :(

However, strolling around a local boot fair early this morning I happened upon this vice:

Being that the fella only wanted £2 for it I thought I would give it a go, cleaned, re-greased and fitted it to my bench and it seems work fine:

So I'm a happy chappy this morning, Wingy :D

nice one. waiting for the boot fairs to start up again in my area so i can pick up a stanley #4 to restore

Why do boot fair sellers ask for so little?

If he'd said £15 and settled on £10 you would still have got a bargain and been happy. Well done!

AndyT":397z6jye said:
Why do boot fair sellers ask for so little?

If he'd said £15 and settled on £10 you would still have got a bargain and been happy. Well done!

I don't know but I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I am normally the bloke that buys stuff and gets home to find that it is broken or I could have got a new one for half the price #-o

Hence my elation with actually getting a bargain for once :D

Wingy

AndyT":18kxm05v said:
Why do boot fair sellers ask for so little?................
They don't all!

In Gloucester we have a large car boot, held twice a week throughout the year, on a very large purpose built hard ground area.

Apart from car-booters there are many traders with lorry-loads of stuff. Some are very cheap, some reasonable and some downright expensive. The regular buyers (like myself) soon get to know and the expensive sellers don't do a quarter of the business of the others. I'm sure some sell hardly anything at all as I see much of the same stuff laid out week after week.

Unlike eBay there are no guarantees and no come back so stuff has to be at rock bottom prices or people will not take a chance and will just buy elsewhere.

As Mr Tesco (Jack Cohen) said "Pile it high and sell in cheap" - it works!

Where does the car boot take place RogerP?
I don't venture into Gloucester very often but it's only 20 minutes or so away for me, so might be tempted to take a look.

Wingy":3gpa9xm4 said:

Looks nice (and the price was right). I think those huge cheeks may be stretching thigs a little though, leverage wise.

BugBear

bugbear":1ackker7 said:
Wingy":1ackker7 said:

Looks nice (and the price was right). I think those huge cheeks may be stretching thigs a little though, leverage wise.

BugBear

Good point well made, this was bought about by my complete indecision as to how long to leave them :-k

Wingy

If you are holding a long piece of wood horizontal, then I see no problem.
If you are holding a narrow piece vertical then I would suggest you make a set of packing pieces for the opposite end. This is just a pack of offcuts of thin plywood or mdf or whatever with a hole drilled in one corner and a bolt through to hold them loosely. You use as many pieces as you need and swing the others out of the way.
I learned about this dodge on here. I think it was something Alf posted.

Found it: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post616832.html#p616832

AndyT":1mcnfl7o said:
If you are holding a long piece of wood horizontal, then I see no problem.
If you are holding a narrow piece vertical then I would suggest you make a set of packing pieces for the opposite end. This is just a pack of offcuts of thin plywood or mdf or whatever with a hole drilled in one corner and a bolt through to hold them loosely. You use as many pieces as you need and swing the others out of the way.
I learned about this dodge on here. I think it was something Alf posted.

Found it: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post616832.html#p616832

Ah cheers for that Andy, it will mainly be used for long pieces horizontal so I shall make up a set of packers for the occasional vertical piece.

Wingy

Nice find... can always guarantee to find a nice vice at a car boot, at least where I go.

I picked up a record 52 for £4... and the next stall I got this handy little woden for 50p.

so5vrd.jpg

Back