wobbly router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all

After getting my router fitted to the router plate I thought I'd check that it was all working.

I noticed that the router bit was wobbling ever so slightly. My router (a Macallister 1/2" that I got off a forum member a couple of years ago) has a soft start so I have only spun it very slowly.

I took out the bit and collet and cleaned everything up, but still doing the same. I ran it with no collet in and it appears that it is the central shaft that is not running true. Well I can see its not :)

I suspect it has always done this but in the scenarios (handheld rough work) I have used it in in the past has not been noticeable.

So is there anything I can do to correct the wobble? replace bearings? or is it time to get a new one and save this for rough work?

It didn't cost me much and I feel I have had my monies worth out of it. If I can fix it for not a lot that would be great as it has tons of grunt and fine height adjuster (and I've already drilled the plate for it! :) )

Hi,

Its probably a bent/badly machined shaft, you should be able to feel sideways play in the shaft if the bearings are worn.

Pete

ah, that settles it then. There is no sideways movement so it looks like the shaft is pineappled!! :)

Hmmmm I have a birthday coming up, might have to treat myself to a new router!

Cheers Pete

Yes, tried with a different collet and router cutter. If I take the collet out so its only the shaft left I can still see movement so it has to be that.

Sounds like it is not repairable so I shall look for another. I'm not in any rish.

Cheers guys

And if it was the bearings it would be difficult to turn by hand.

B & Q have a JCB half inch router for 90 squids

Andy

Back