Wobbly dining table legs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcamp

Reaction score
Hello all,

My Christmas holiday project is to build a simple dining table. I want to make sure that the joints which fix the rails to the top of the legs are really secure so that they don't loosen as the table is moved around the room.

I've noticed that most tables in shop showrooms have metal plates on the inside, at the top of each leg which, when tightening a bolt, pull the 2 rails towards the leg. I've found some of these on an American web site at: www.constantines.com/index.asp?PageActi ... ProdID=749 Does anyone know where I can get these in the UK?

Alternatively, any other ideas for making sure these joints are really strong would be very welcome!

Thanks,

Tim

Brilliant - just what I wanted.

Thanks for the welcome & for the link.

Tim

A simple mortice and tenon with a peg will last alot longer :D

hi there, there is also the infamous Kreg jig.

the metal plates tend to be used by stores since the send the
tables out in a kind of flat pack way, and so the customer is to blame when things are loose.

if you move a wooden structure a lot then the legs will move somewhat
i recently took apart a post war kitchen table that was glued and screwed.
nice plane. (wood not the tool)

not sure if it was a kreg style, but it stayed very solid for a long time. lots depends on how heavy the table is.

all the best
paul :wink:

I made a table with simple pegged mortice and tennon joints. The kids give it a lot of abuse and after 5 years there is no sign of any loosening of the joints.
To peg the joints together tightly drill the mortice first then drill the tennon slightly offset so that the peg pulls the joint together tightly.
Very old fashioned joinery but sound and solid.

Bean

Back