WiZeR's Workshop Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks tim, this is my first workshop and I am a novice woodworker. So any advice is good advice and very much apprecieated.

I had wondered about the wood storage. I think it is quite nescesary to have the storage, maybe more so for sheet stock. Part of the 'deal' from SWMBO is that 'the mess' is hidden. So I can't really store anywhere else. I don't see me storing lots and lots of wood in the short term. It will probably work out that I buy wood on a project by project basis and keep useable scraps. The wood rack could be used for storing other things too. As DW says, the Triton will fold away when not in use if space is needed.

DW, when you say top ventilation, do you mean an extractor fan or just openable windows? I know I need an extractor fan somewhere, not sure of best placement.

yes i'm afraid so dedee. We need access to the back of the house. Building the workshop will essentially block this off. Getting anything large in the front door is impossible. This again was part of the 'deal'

DW":33fcjuvn said:
Also Tim remember the Triton if on wheels pushes away to a corner when not being used so a fold up flap off that side table would give welcome table space when required.

Agreed DW but I can't think of one occasion when I haven't needed to recut a piece or remake something when constructing, which means that the Triton would need to be out again.

The main point is that its definitely better than you had before and therefore its a good thing.

Cheers

Tim

Tom,
Wall space in a workshop is precious, you may want to consider storing wood vertically - it takes up much less space that way and is easier to sort through and requires no heavy duty load bearing fixtures on the walls. I store my wood that way and have never had a problem with the wood distorting which some people fear if wood is stored this way.

Of course, workshop height can be a limiting factor but depending what you make it should not be a problem. Most furniture for example doesn't need very long sections of wood.

thanks guys. The width of the rack was determined by an 8x4 sheet. Storing it on end would mean having to have the internal height of the workshop at least 8ft6in. This seems high, although I haven't measured for height yet. It is hard to say how much sheet material I will be using and indeed how much other wood will need to be stored. Maybe I will not build the rack at first and see how my woodworking habits develop. It might be that the roof storage will be plenty and the odd sheet can be held against the wall out of the way. A bin could be used for small scraps.

WRT to ceiling space. As well as the lights, roof windows and storage. I also want some ceiling hung power points above the work bench.

I do have an extra 2.5m of length availible, but tbh I don't want to use this. This area is good for storing garden bits and pieces. I may think about covering this area as a 'veranda'.

WiZeR,
I have my workbench on 6 X 4" lockable casters so that I can move it if I require more space. Both of my Triton WC's (one for saw & one for router) are also on wheels so easily movable . 8' X 4' sheets are hell to cut if you have not got an extension table. I would not dedicate a wall to a wood store -I would consider a roof mounted rack of some sort. You have not allowed for additional tools what you will no nought buy
Barry

I had thought of making the work surface a series of two or three moveable work 'carts'. Not sure how this would work out in terms of stability. But then where will they move to? I thought about having the work surface the same level as the triton so it can be used for side extension support. But then I still wont be able to get an 8x4 sheet through safely.

Can I ask about windows and doors?

I have drawn a quick mockup of the finished shop. Measurements are not accurate but give an idea of what I am thinking:

wshop-mockup1.jpg
wshop-mockup2.jpg

At the front of the workshop (the side that faces the road) I have put small windows at the top purely to let in a bit of light. I will have to think about security. My main question about windows is Should I make them myself? i.e should I use single pane glass or can I get double glazed unit to fit my specs? WRT doors. Again, should I build them myself? Is building doors with windows in a good idea? what sort of hinges should I use when thinking about security?

Wizer,

When I built my ws I got a complete double glazed window from a friend who had put in French doors. Given your timescale, you could keep your eye out and look in the free ads paper, then design the walls around the windows.

Les

Cheers Chris, I did realise what you meant, just trying to explain my thinking.

Good Idea Les, I wonder if I would find double glazed units small enough for the top. Can you fit double glazed units in a door?

And if you could find a velox window as well you would be laughing.
Top ventilation only to let heat out. All sheds get very hot, My garden shed 10x8 regularly reaches plus 90f.

Perhaps too radical; however, I would seriously consider replacing the fence with a wall upon which you could add joists back to the house wall for a roof. Maximises on space and provides a signficantly more solid structure. I do accept that it is the more adventerous and costly option, but I'd definately check it out with a builder first - you may be suprised...

I'd definately stick with using a wood rack - my "pile + bins + bags" drives me completely bandy! My personal plan consists of Spur shelving brackets mounted 52" high to allow for board storage below.

Final thought... How about large material storage (in particular sheets) underneath? It would mean a step up but you could have a dolly (small casters) that travels underneath. You could, width permitting, incorporate some under-floor storage that could be access from within for non-sheet materials too.

Just some thoughts....

The wall idea isn't really an option as it divides 2 properties.

I like the idea of the under floor storage, although this would push up the height somewhat. Deffinately something to think about.

WiZeR":1l0wd2gj said:
The wall idea isn't really an option as it divides 2 properties.

I like the idea of the under floor storage, although this would push up the height somewhat. Deffinately something to think about.

Wizer, have you ever lifted up a sheet of 8x4ft 3/4" chipboard or other sheet. (They are very very heavy) Definately not my idea of wanting to recover from such a low attitude.

I don't think I would go for underfloor storage for timber. Damp and moisture might be a problem. You could always put your dust extraction piping in there though.

With ref to the dividing fence, you will need to check this as I was refused permission to do something similar to your ideas. I needed to leave a greater gap, or I think get involved in party wall permissions. Also be careful of roof overhang and run off water missing the gutter. All potential neighbour problems. You may get on with theses neighbours, but neighbours change.

yes, on reflection the under storage isn't ideal. I could not have had the extra height anyway. It is allready a bit on the high side.

I have allowed a space for guttering on the dividing wall. If it does splash over the fence then I can make the fence higher. The neighbour there at the moment wanted 7ft fences when I put them up but we settled on 6ft.

Thanks for that les. I am prety certain everything will be ok re planning. I am on first name terms with the local planning officer so I'll give him a call when I am nearer a finished design.

Back