WiZeR 's Adventures in Scrollsawing *pics*

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
** Picture Intensive Post **

Well, after my last thread about the netto scrollsaw, Chris (waterhead37) kindly offered me his old 'Chiwaneese' (his words) scroll saw. Went over to pick it up today. That tool cabinet he is making is even more beautiful in the flesh!

Pictures of the scroll saw here:

http://www.wizer.co.uk/gallery2/v/Wood/scrolling/

I've spent most of the evening searching the forum for tips on scroll sawing. Ordered myself a book called 'Scrollsaw Workbook' and an Assortment Pack of Flying Dutchman blades together for $24.90

Until they arrive I wondered if there are any tips to get me going? Simple paterns? Type of material? Thickness of material? etc

:wink:

Children's coloring book are one of getting easy patterns.
Don't start out with to thick of wood, 1/4" would be good if you have any. Plywood would be OK.

Good Luck Bob

Hi WiZeR

That saw looks a lot more substantial than most of the modern 'Chiwaneese' saws on the market. I presume the book you've ordered is the one by John Nelson? If so, it's the standard introduction to scrolling and is much commended on the 'Murrican forums. Needless to say, I don't have a copy so I can't really offer my own opinion :roll: :) .

Although you may be keen to use the machine, I'd suggest you wait until the book and your blades arrive so that you don't inadvertantly develop any bad habits. The book will take you through a series of projects that are designed to ensure you learn how to use the saw properly from the outset. Mike Moorlach offers a good service and mails his orders very promptly, so you won't have long to wait.

Happy scrolling - I'm sure you'll have fun :) .

Gill

Very good choice on the book.....I have it and it helped get me going. Helps with blade choice (size) for thickness of wood and practice cuts to learn to follow the line..The book carry many patterns from very simple cut outs to harder pieces.....you will find you are getting your moneys worth in that one....it won't take long once you get going and you will see results....We will be hear to help you along.
Lin

Checked out the pic of your saw.....looks like it has some weight to it....thats a good thing...Only sugestion I can make till you get your book and blades it to clean the table so it's smooth and put a coat of paste wax on it....I use Johnson's paste wax on mine....put wax on and let it get almost dry then buff it off......this will help to get and keep the slick surface you will need to spin the wood for tight cuts.....I wax my table about once every two weeks.
Lin

excellent advice all round!

Yep, I took the recommendation for John Nelson's book from an earlier post of yours Gill. Strangely enough it was on offer from Mike Moorlach as a bundle with the assortment of blades. However he emailed me and said the postage on the book might be too expensive, so I ordered it on Amazon.

Not sure if i'm going to be able to wait for the blades and book, I will try to refrain myself! :shock:

Mike did say he'd mail the blades on Monday. Might see if I can find the book in local stores.

It is quite a substantial machine, very heavy indeed. Going to spend some time cleaning it up today and might turn it on to see how it runs.

Thanks guys

and thanks again Chris.

Wizer good luck with your new toy.

I seem to remember a few months back, one of the UK woodworking magazines advertising a American scroll saw mag (funnily called "Scroll Saw" :roll: ) that was due to go on sale over here, but since then i have not read anymore about it. Does anyone know if it ever did hit the shelves?

Regards

Woody

Hi WiZeR

You should be fine with the wax you already have. Doing a little bit of maintenance on the saw was a good idea. Whilst you're at it, you might consider putting a drop of 3-in-1 oil on the pivot points and removing the hold-down arm (if Chris doesn't mind). Those hold-downs just get in the way and if you're scrolling properly, you don't need them anyway. I don't know any experienced scrollers who use one.

Gill

WiZer, Looks the same to me......Main thing is that it does not have silicone in it....the wax you have says that it is for wood and the brand I use says the same.....
I totally agree with Gill on the hold down.....Mine is still on my saw but is turned back outta the way......never did use it....even when I started.
I'm excited for you......can't hardly wait till your blades come in....
Lin

Thanks guys. I told you I couldn't contain myself....

:D

No obvious problems cutting the above, but then there was no real thought put into it.

Cleaned up the scroll saw and adjusted the hold down, but now i'll remove it. :roll:

I rubbed down the top with some wd40 to treat a few rust patches. I will give it a wax treatment this afternoon and oil the pivot points.

Phoned around all the local bookstores but none of them had the John Nelson book. Paid for 24hr delivery from Amazon so should be here by Tues.

WiZeR":6z7tmm8d said:
I told you I couldn't contain myself....
I wouldn't have been able to resist the temptation either :roll: . I'm pleased you've got everything working okay.

It's fun, isn't it? And surprisingly addictive.

Gill

The book that got me going was The Scroll Saw Handbook by P Spielman - most libraries will have a copy or at least some of his other books. There are quite a few simple projects inside as well.

Andy

thanks Andy, I noticed your recomendation for that book in another thread. I will be checking the library for that one.

Obviously no one has heard of the Scroll Saw mag, must of been a figment of my imagination :roll:

Regards

Woody

Not a figment.....I subscribe to both Scroll saw mags.....Scroll Saw Workshop and Creative Woodworks and Crafts....and have had a subsciption to both since right after getting my saw.......was a bit of time before I felt I could cut any thing from either of them.....Had to learn the basics first......and for me....that was trying to stay on the line.......that was and sometimes still is extrememly hard to do....lol
I made lots of "Wooden Frisbees" at first.....many pieces went sailing out my garage door in flight....When I finally settled down and found the handbook and folks online to help me.....I got better.....very quick.
Lin

Hi Lin,

Thats the one "Scroll Saw Workshop". I knew it was from the US, and that it was suppose to be going on sale over here, but with the lack of replies there is a good chance that this has not happened.

Regards

Woody

Hi Woody

Like Lin, I subscribe to both magazines. Both are excellent and I always find something of interest. The current exchange rate makes them particularly good value at present.

With Scroll Saw Workshop you have the option of subscribing direct to Fox Publishing in the USA or going through their agent GMC in the UK. I'm with GMC, but when I renew I think I'll cut out the middle man and subscribe directly.

I'm sorry I overlooked your earlier post - it's a good job you raised the question again.

Gill

Thanks very much Gill. So the advert was to subscribe through GMC, and not that it was going to be on sale in the newsagents. That explains why no one has seen it.

How many times a year is it out, and do you get your issue around the same time as Lin? The reason i ask is, i have noticed that a few members who subscribe to some of the mags in the US complain that their issue is very late or simply does not arrive.

Once again thanks for clearing up the Scroll Saw Workshop mystery.

Regards

Woody

Back