WiZeR 's Adventures in Scrollsawing *pics*

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking for some scroll saw inspiration. I want to take on my first real project but not sure what it should be. I have seen patrick spielman's book but nothing really takes my fancy.

can you guys suggest some scrollsaw sites/pattern sites i can browse?

Hi WiZeR

There are all sorts of patterns on the MSN Free Scrollsaw Patterns and Absolutely Free Scrollsaw Patterns forums. If you can't find what you want, just ask and someone will design something for you free of charge. Now, you can't say better than that :) .

Although Patrick Spielman's books are very common in the UK and he has produced some excellent patterns, a lot of his designs don't satisfy British tastes. I don't know of any commercial British pattern makers except for Ivor Carlyle and Jorn Everett (whose book is currently available through B&Q ;) ). If you look in the archive at Hobbies of Dereham, you might also find some British plans that appeal to you.

Other than those choices, I think you might have to import patterns from the likes of Wildwood Designs , The Wooden Teddy Bear and the Berry Basket. I'm sure there are lots of other good pattern sites you can find too, but those are the three that spring immediately to mind.

Hope this helps.

Gill

thank you Gill, I will have a look through all those sites and see if I can find some inspiration.

Hi WiZeR
Your scroll saw looks very like the one I've got gathering dust in my workshop at the moment. Your thread has inspired me to get it out of hibernation and try to get something done with it.
My scroll saw comes via the school I work at as surplus to requirements and originally came from Axminster. Mine too only takes pin ended blades but speaking to Axminster's technical department this afternoon they mentioned at attachment that can be added to allow pinless blades to be used. Does anyone have any further info about these?
Cheers
Stewart

A tip I've recently picked up about using pin-headed blades for fine piercing work is to knock the pin out at the top of the blade, then insert it as per normal into a drilled hole in your workpiece, then clip a safety pin into the hole in the blade where the pin used to be.

I've never tried this myself so I don't know if it works, but I pass the advice on in case anyone might benefit from it.

Stewart - Perhaps Frank Pozgai might be able to help you out.

Gill

Back