Wish Rutlands would stop emailing me their offers :)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Thats a good price, any one got some? are they any good.

Pete

i bought some last time. I havent used them extensively, but on the couple of occasions that I have they were good.

I also bought some last time - and sent them back! The ones I received differed slightly from those shown on the Rutlands website so it may be that I was sent a particularly poor batch.
They are cheap and cheerful, and they do work, and I obviously didn't expect Bessey or even Record quality but I don't believe they can properly be described as sash cramps due to their poor construction:
- A toggle bar that bends far too easily, so good tight clamping is not easy to achieve
- Poorly aligned faces that meant that a straight pull wasn't always possible - not always of great importance, but annoying.
- Very poor locking pins
- The main bars were bent sideways - they straightened out under tension but this sometimes made careful placing more difficult.

In short, they are fine if you just want some longish (and very cheap) clamps but if you want long, accurate, powerful clamps, they are not up to the task.

In fairness to Rutlands, they took them back without argument, and refunded my money promptly.

Duncan

Back