Wireless USB LAN adapter help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pren

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Got one for the IT heads.

I've got wireless broadband from BT, via their N router 'home hub'. It works fine with my netbook which has built in wi-fi.

I bought a USB wireless LAN adapter to connect to my main PC upstairs so the hub could stay downstairs by the phone line in.

I've installed the software that came with it but when I plug the USB adapter in it isn't recognised by my PC. I get three 'dings' when it's plugged in and a 'ding-dong' when it's taken out. The wee status light on the adapter comes on but the connection software says it isn't connected. :?

I've tried it in all of the USB ports (front and rear) with no success. I've installed and and unninstalled in 3 times now, re-starting and completely shutting down in between failed attempts.

Any help, please?

Running XP on an 8yr old PC.
USB LAN adpter = REALTEK 11n Wireless LAN.

Pren

Not sure about this one. 8 year old USB bus could have some compatibility issues. I think the first thing I would try is the adapter in another PC.

Your laptop connects OK. So I would disable the in-built wireless adapter and install the new one. If it works, then it proves the new adapter. Put the laptop by the main PC to check the signal strength although that should not be an issue unless you have a very big house!

Hope that helps a little.

Bob

Pren I have got basically the same setup as you. XP pro in my pc upstairs and a new laptop downstairs, and both connected to my bt homehub.

The easiest way to sort your problem out is to phone BT, give them permission to enter your pc, and get them to do the job you pay them for. If there is nothing physically wrong with your system or software, then they will have you up and running in no time. Or at least tell you what you have to update. Are you running USB 1.00 or 2.00?

If you do not want to do this then try double clicking on "BT Broadband Desk Top Help" which will check your connections and some other things.

Cheers

Mike

If you look in control panel> device manager does the USB network adaptor show up and if so does it have an exclamation mark against it? Check the properties on it while you are there to see if it is 'working normally'.

You could also try getting up a command prompt (dos box) and typing in ipconfig (then hit enter) to see what the settings are with and without the new adaptor.

Let us know what you find :)

I assume you have little knowledge so difficult to advise but you have already received valid help from the other guys.

You have to use a methodical step by step approach to eliminate possible reasons.

Because the pc doesn't recognise the adapter it suggests it's either faulty or more likely, not installed correctly but before doing anything else, put your laptop next to the pc and check reception as suggested. Not a foolproof test as reception strength is probably better from the built in wifi in your laptop but worth doing.

Check the usb port in your pc is ok by plugging in something else. (you will have usb 1.0 unless you have upgraded but no probs - just will be slower than usb 2.0.)

Next as said. install the adapter into your laptop and see if you can work it (next to the pc for purpose of signal).
As a double check, have you got a mate who can test it on his pc?

If all ok, I suggest you do a "system restore" ( start, accessories, system tools, system restore ) and restore your pc to the point immediately prior to your first attempt. You won't lose any data but it should give you a new "clean" install state. Don't worry, there is an undo button so quite safe. :)

There are other, better ways of doing it but difficult to explain to someone inexperienced.

You could also check device manager to see if listed, check properties and you can re-install driver (try auto first then if necesary browse to the driver disk and do it manually).
Worth a look on the realtec website for updated driver and possibly conflict problems.

If all fails - google your problem and see if any quick fix on one of the many forums.

As an aside, I have the latest "N" router from BT and I can't get a signal to upper bedrooms (thick wall) and had to connect via cable so they ain't perfect :roll:

Bob

Is XP patched to at least service pack 2? Start|run|type winver and then return. Also try the manufacturer's website for latest drivers or try using windows update to find the latest driver.
Let me know if you need help with any of this.
Cheers
Gidon

Back