Wireless radiator valves.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added a second room stat and everything is still trundling along nicely. Being able to leave the office temp at 17c and crank it up for 2 hours when I know I'm going to be in there is nice. Similarly when you know you're out later than normal and you want your bedroom to still have a bit of warmth in before you jump in the sack, being able to just extend it from the car on the way back is nice.

The house feels warmer when we want it to be, cooler where we don't need the heat all the time and easy to adjust when we need to make a change. he main bathroom for example now only sits at 18c all day with a short 30 minute blip just before the kids bathtime.

I'm sure some are thinking "oh well, I lived with nothing but the heat from rubbing boy scouts together", good for you.

Well, this is fun!
My house is half Drayton TRVs, and half Danfoss. The Wiser heads fit the Drayton, obviously. The Danfoss are the older RAVL, so the supplied adapters don't fit. So I found adapters that do fit, bit pricey, but nothing I can do about it. Just over a week after placing my order, DHL claim to have delivered them. Not to me... and none of my neighbours have seen them. The worst thing is, I seem to have bought the last six in existence...
So now half the house is wireless, the other half is worse than before, as the wireless valves can instruct the boiler to fire up at any time...whereas before the stat in the hallway had the final vote.
I guess the lesson learned is to check the TRV size before buying.
If you have a room stat put it in whatever room your old room stat was in and it'll just function like it used to for the rest of the house. It'll get cold and call for heat and your old TRVs will regulate it. The new smart ones will still be smart and call for heat if they need it. Just make sure you don;t have the room stat in the same room as a TRV on the app, otherwise it will override the TRV.

Added a second room stat and everything is still trundling along nicely. Being able to leave the office temp at 17c and crank it up for 2 hours when I know I'm going to be in there is nice. Similarly when you know you're out later than normal and you want your bedroom to still have a bit of warmth in before you jump in the sack, being able to just extend it from the car on the way back is nice.

The house feels warmer when we want it to be, cooler where we don't need the heat all the time and easy to adjust when we need to make a change. he main bathroom for example now only sits at 18c all day with a short 30 minute blip just before the kids bathtime.

I'm sure some are thinking "oh well, I lived with nothing but the heat from rubbing boy scouts together", good for you.

If you have a room stat put it in whatever room your old room stat was in and it'll just function like it used to for the rest of the house. It'll get cold and call for heat and your old TRVs will regulate it. The new smart ones will still be smart and call for heat if they need it. Just make sure you don;t have the room stat in the same room as a TRV on the app, otherwise it will override the TRV.
It's the reverse problem... I used to have the room stat in the hall, now it's disabled, so unless I run round and turn down all the TRVs in our side of the house, then the daughter and the grandkids can twiddle a Wiser in the night, and start the boiler, and all the rads on our side heat up.

It's only a temporary problem, with any luck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed my adapters will appear soonish. If they take too long I'll reconnect the original hallway stat.

It's the reverse problem... I used to have the room stat in the hall, now it's disabled, so unless I run round and turn down all the TRVs in our side of the house, then the daughter and the grandkids can twiddle a Wiser in the night, and start the boiler, and all the rads on our side heat up.

It's only a temporary problem, with any luck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed my adapters will appear soonish. If they take too long I'll reconnect the original hallway stat.
True, but since they are already trvs it won't go too crazy as the valve will control the temperature. Sort of. Also the boost on the rad is only for 2 hours and you can disable it if you have particularly fiddly kids. Mine doesn't know that they do anything yet, other than go grunt in the night.

I have to say the Wiser system is good at shutting down the boiler just before you hit the desired temp meaning you get to it, rather than blowing past it and with eco mode on it'll very that depending on the outside temperature so it's like weather compensation, something that never really took off in the UK as everyone wanted radiators that were hot or would complain that the radiator wasn't on, even if they were not cold 🤪

In this weather, our 28kW boiler struggles to heat the whole house. And it's not the grandkids twiddling, it's their mum. Americans... expect to be able to sit about in underwear when it's snowing outside...Thank Evans for the log burner.

it's like weather compensation, something that never really took off in the UK as everyone wanted radiators that were hot or would complain that the radiator wasn't on, even if they were not cold
Weather compensation makes sense. Our GSHP sets the flow temperature based on the temperature outside. Currently it is -14 celsius outside and the flow temperature is 44 celsius. The rads are warm to the touch but certainly not hot. That is OK; the house is at a comfortable temperature.

In this weather, our 28kW boiler struggles to heat the whole house. And it's not the grandkids twiddling, it's their mum. Americans... expect to be able to sit about in underwear when it's snowing outside...Thank Evans for the log burner.
I had a discussion with an American work colleague about normal room temperatures. He was convinced 25 degrees C was a normal room temperature. Normal in our house is 18 degrees for the living rooms and cooler for the bedrooms. The bedrooms have a short heat to 17 in the hour before we go to bed then off all night.

Weather compensation makes sense. Our GSHP sets the flow temperature based on the temperature outside. Currently it is -14 celsius outside and the flow temperature is 44 celsius. The rads are warm to the touch but certainly not hot. That is OK; the house is at a comfortable temperature.
Absolutely and its a great system, I had it on my old house but with a gas boiler. The problem is for some reason in the UK it did not take off anything like it has on the continent. People wanted radiators at 60, 70 or even 80C(!) and if the radiator was only warm, it must not be working, even if they were comfortable.

The GSHPs we have on the farm are all for underfloor heating so just run at 31c return and so about 36c flow, though according to the metering one of those systems is running at about 1:1 at the moment, a worry as we've just been accepted to the NonDom RHI for the next 20 years and want that money!

Back