Wireless Laptop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
If it is at all possible, how easy would it be to change a non wireless enabled laptop over to wireless enabled, so that i can access the internet (broadband) from anywhere around the house and in the garden? And if it is possible what parts would i need to do this?

Regards

Woody

you can buy a little card to fit onto the laptop, around £15.

Have a look on ebuyer.co.uk within the wireless networking section

You also need a router that is wireless enabled. Be prepared to be disappointed. Wireless access is not always what it's cracked up to be and many things such as thick walls transpire against you getting a decent signal.

I gave up using my laptop in the garden as the contrast ratio on the screen wasn't that great in bright sunlight.

And if you live in close proximity to other wireless points make sure you lock down your own system otherwise you can be eavesdropped/piggybacked/generally messed around!

IMHO don't be seduced by claims of very high data rates 54Mbps etc. I'd always prefer to trade a reliable connection against speed any day.

It was only after installing my wireless set up did I realise quite how often we used the microwave. Not sure if this is a problem with all wireless configurations but everytime the microwave is switched on the wireless connection goes down to less than half strength and can even disconnect all together.

Andy

Dedee: I'd be inclined to worry about that. If it isn't a house wiring problem, the implication is that the microwave is pumping out radiation - which they aren't meant to do... Not good for your health: I'd check the door, seals etc. It ain't X-rays, but it's still not a necessary risk to your health if the thing is working properly...

Shady":39eixcx1 said:
Dedee: I'd be inclined to worry about that. If it isn't a house wiring problem, the implication is that the microwave is pumping out radiation - which they aren't meant to do... Not good for your health: I'd check the door, seals etc. It ain't X-rays, but it's still not a necessary risk to your health if the thing is working properly...

:roll:. Microwave ovens generate microwaves at about 2.45Ghz, which is coincidentally about the same frequency as a wireless LAN. Because of the way they work, they all leak a fraction of their output into the environment, as non-ionising radiation... just like your cell phone.

From Wikipedia:
The USA legal limit of leaking radiation is 1 mW/cm2 at 5 cm from a new oven (for a used oven, it is 5 times higher). It is rare for an oven to exceed these limits. As a comparison, a GSM mobile phone may emit up to 1 W at 1800 MHz, which is 3.2 mW/cm2 at 5 cm.
One way to reduce interference on your WLAN is to configure your network to avoid the middle of the range of channels on your network (i.e. 6-11), because most of the interference falls toward the top end of the 2.4GHz band.

So, if you do notice yourself glowing in the dark at all, it's probably just your Readybrek.

If you want a comprehensive article about the subject, try this one.

Fair enoughski: I'm surprised at the strength of the effect, but bow to superior knowledge...

I dont have any problems at all with my wireless setup. But then I dont own a microwave and my house walls are pretty much made of paper!

One thing to note that using a laptop outside is often impossible unless you build a box around it to shade the sun.

Dedee....did you see the :wink:

If you screen the antenna then wireless won't work either!!

Good idea, though, for when we all have to have satellite transmitters in our cars so that THEY KNOW WHERE WE ARE at all times or can get us for speeding over a distance :twisted: :twisted: Just wrap silver foil over the antenna and you should just 'disappear'

Roger wrote:

And if you live in close proximity to other wireless points make sure you lock down your own system otherwise you can be eaversdropped/piggybacked/generally messed around!

Not good news then :cry: :?:

So what you are saying is, If the microwave does not get me, I maybe used, abused, and generally messed around with, by some nosey, back rideing pig :?: :lol: :lol:

Oh well, because i live in a granite house where the walls are 30 inches thick ](*,) it will be a waste of money trying.

Thanks for the info anyway guys.

Regards

Woody

Back