Wireless central heating controller advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy F

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a combi boiler controlled but a Grasslin Towerchron QE2 Twin Channel Programmer. It is plugged in to a module attached to the wall and looks like it could be replaced with something else.

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace it with a wireless unit that I can put somewhere else in the building? It is right at the back of the garage and I have to reach over worktops and around stuff I have put in the way.

Ta

Andy

I would love to know how the installer was thinking when he came to the decision to put your controller in the back of your garage, ease of access does not spring to mind. It is possible to replace it with a wireless controller but more info would be needed.

They use a common backplate so should be a simple case of setting up the configuration as per the new wireless installation instructions. I've installed Hive and Nest systems and the only real issue was in an old building with a particularly difficult location that the wireless signal was a bit iffy in some areas but with most houses this shouldn't be a problem.

I got wireless controllers when refurbishing the house with two-zone heating. EPH Controls, the RF Heating control pack, I think. Main panel is in laundry room with controls in the hallway for the radiators, and in the hotpress for the hotwater. There's a box and a couple of pump housings on the pipes in the hotpress. Not sure how it all works TBH, central heating isn't my thing.

The plumber was wanting to add a smarthome module so I could turn on the heating from my phone, but no thanks. I'm a former InfoSec professional, so I avoid opening my home to cyber attacks, thanks very much.

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace it with a wireless unit that I can put somewhere else in the building?
The answer is “yes”. I use Honeywell CM927 controllers (other controllers are available ...) which link to a Honeywell control unit and turn the boiler and central heating pumps on and off. The original control unit is still in place, but only used to switch hot water between “tank thermostat” and “off”. The boiler only fires up when switched on AND the tank thermostats decide the water isn’t warm enough.

I am with @jcassidy . There is no way that I am connecting my domestic control systems to the internet.

I've got honeywell evohome. It's brilliant. Keeps the house warm enough for me to leave my tinfoil beanie off.

IOT device security isn't even conceived yet, let alone born!
Went to an IET/BCS lecture on network security and the IOT was highlighted as wide open if you know how to get in.
Remember there is no such thing as "the cloud", it's just someone else's computer.
HSE even have a field bulletin for their inspectors with regard to network security and manufacturing equipment...

Remember there is no such thing as "the cloud", it's just someone else's computer.
Yes modern terminology leaves a lot to be desired, what was wrong with the term server?

To me a cloud is something that temporarily holds moisture and will eventually just disipate, not good for your data!

I have Evohome. Wireless controlled radiator valves in every room so every room is a zone with its own temperature setting and programme. During this last lockdown we have been in the house a lot so I have set the room we are mostly using to be on all day rather than the whole house being heated. It controls the hot water as well. If you go for this option I can send you the wiring diagram for my house and a few tips. Number one tip is binding the devices which receive the signal from the controller, very easy not to clear out previous binding, instructions are not that clear.

The answer is “yes”. I use Honeywell CM927 controllers (other controllers are available ...) which link to a Honeywell control unit and turn the boiler and central heating pumps on and off. The original control unit is still in place, but only used to switch hot water between “tank thermostat” and “off”. The boiler only fires up when switched on AND the tank thermostats decide the water isn’t warm enough.

I am with @jcassidy . There is no way that I am connecting my domestic control systems to the internet.
Check with your plumber that your walls are thin enough to get a signal depending on where you want the controller. Our plumber 'upgraded' our CH and installed Honeywell CM927s in place of the wired units - despite some misgivings on my behalf as old house with thick wall had poor wifi reach. The downstairs is quite intermittent and sticks on or off, I've had to move it pretty well next to the CH as the house walls are too thick for the radio signal. Upstairs seems to go through the floorboards OK.

Latest posts

Back