WIP - Memory Boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riclepp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I thought I would post a WIP of seven Memory Boxes that I am making. About eighteen months ago my Father died, he was originally trained as a cabinet maker, but he somehow got into stud work, particions and the like. When I was a young boy to mid teens he taught me cabinet making, but he stopped very quickley and said "to many cowboys in the game", "dying trade" etc. Well twentyfive years on they are still saying the same and I am retraining to be a cabinet maker (if I don't die first.....lol). Anyways, long story short I promised to make these boxes for my sister and friends who wish to keep memories of my parents in.

So I started to look at the many kinds of box desgins out ther, but nothing really caught my eye. So I have designed my own. The internal dimensions is just larger than a sheet of A4 papaer and is 170mm deep (have the measurements, but not to hand)> I have tried to do justice by using sycamore for the sides and ash for the rebated in lid with 3mm banding inlay and for the finish i will use shellac, hard wax oil and finally beeswax. As I want to keep the natrual colour of the wood as best as I can, and also to show off the grain. I will be using small Busso hinges (not decided on what on though) I am going to have to do another post later with a photobucket link as some images are a little to big to post on this site.

The wood was cut from waney edged timber and was allowed to "acmatise for several months between each operation of cutting, planing etc.

I appreicate all comments good, or bad. I am not a cabinet maker yet, but one day :)

Thanks folks

Richard

Looks like an interesting project Richard. I'll be interested to see how you do the banding so lots of WIP piccies please. Glad to see there is another member here who prefers to work outside on a workmate on a nice day rather than inside.

Hi All

A few weeks have gone by, but the project continues. I have the lids all jointed, sanded all that is left for the lids is to be rebated to fit into the grove that has been routed into the main box sides. Have yet to purchase the ceader of lebanon board for the bottoms. Have a question that somone might be able to answer. If is cover the ceader with baise, will this prevent the fresh smell of the ceader comming through??? My gut feeling says yes and therefore would be better off with beech faced ply.

Thanks for looking :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hi Richard,

Looking good so far, regarding the cedar it is only usually used to ward off moths so personally if you are looking to baize line I would go with birch faced ply for the base.

One query though, you are putting your ply into a groove, are you intending to do the same with the top and then cut it off once the box is glued?

If not what arrangements are you going to make to prevent the thin lid laying on top of the box from cupping?

Rog

Hi Roger

Yes, that is what I intended. Each lid was made for one single piece and cut into three then butt/Biscuit jointed. I have yet to router the rebate for the lids, but that's for another weekend. I am picking up a bandsaw at the end of the month, so that will help for cutting the lid off.

Hi All

just a catch up on the memoiry boxes I started last year. As well all know there is never enough time to do things as well as working. Anyways the boxes are comming together now, two have been fully dimensioned and glued with key slots cut and contrasting keys put in, then flush cut planed and sanded. Some small gaps have been filled with a suitable wax colour, taking into consideration the wood will darken with age.

I will do some more pictures later. l I have to do now is trim and mitre the inlay. Glue it in place and then scrape it. Once this is done I can the cut the lid off, clean the cut edges up, router the insert for the hinges lid and box. Cut the baise to size and fix. The a final finish, remove any dents and hard wax oil it and then wax polish.

Cheers

Riclepp. watching your wip and it looks nice.

When you slice of the lid portion of your box, using a bandsaw you need to pack out the cut already made to avoid movement of final portion of lid as carcass comes past the bandsaw blade. I expect you know what I mean, but thought I would mention because you stated you were buying a bandsaw and you might not have made this type of cut before.

Hi Ian

Many thanks for the vote....Out of curosity are your hinges the "Smart Hinge"????? One day I will be able to make boxes like yours, some impressise stuff on your website.

Hi DW

Many thanks for that, but unfortuantly I cannot use the bandsaw to remove the lid ](*,) I had to use the TS and remove the crown guard (don't tell SM of this [-o< [-o< [-o< ) Anyway lids are now off and have been cleaned up. I have chamfered the edges to give a little more chaacter, now to router in the hinge recesses in the base and lid. Once this is done it will be the final filling of a gaps (if any), steam out any knocks that I havent noticed and then a final sand, but down to 600 (i know to much, but hey ho). Whilst doing this I will be prepairing the baise and lips, once this is done; I will sand seal it, hard wax oil it and then the final layers of a decent wax polish..

Back