WIP cutting board (finished)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though I did not agree with all of the comments that Moz made on this topic, they were a lot more constructive than some that others made.
I hope that he does not let a couple of negative comments about his posts get to him, and that he continues being an active member of the forum.

As Dan Tovey pointed out about someone elses comments.[because it is
an internet forum]

Dennis

Thanks very much Dennis,

Of course, the point is, were Chris to wander into your workshop and ask for advice, do you:

A. congratulate him on his choice of a breadboard as a first hardwood project as an excellent vehicle for learning how to prepare and use a plane, preparing timber by hand and thereby developing a set of skills with universal application to every single project he will encounter for the rest of his life, not to mention introducing him to one of the pleasures of life; or:

B. encourage him down a path most fear to tread with only second rate results in sight just to bash the job out without having to learn much nor break into a sweat; or:

C. stand around going, "Ooh, Err, that Moz e's a bit harsh isn't he".

Anyway, ddashk and wizer have summed it up. It's end grain so I can't see that board orientation has produced this effect. It probably is a clamping error. However Chris, and although it may sound a daft question, did you check that the edges were square before gluing up!? This is essential, with any discrepancies corrected before joining. I'm a little unclear about how you squared up the edges after ripping the glued up board into strips but before re-gluing into its present state. Did you return the pieces to the 'router thicknesser'? I won't go on about that again (you know how I feel) but using feather boards to press the work tightly against the fence could work for or against accuracy - are the reference face and edge square to each other to start with? (and if so, how on earth have you achieved this?) Is the fence square to the table? If not, the board could be distorted/lifted with unpredictable results. Is the cutter square to the table? If you used a table saw, is the blade sqaure to the table? Nothing can be taken for granted. I know you must feel disappointed but don't bin it just yet.

John

I had looked at the board for a while. And I couldn't believe it had been glued up like this, but now others have confirmed it, it really is end grain facing up.

Now I don't know if this is just me. But surely, this should have been glued together the other way? Face side up not end grain? IMHO The board would not have cupped it the board had been glued the other way and with the ring patterns alternating. I don't think the board would be very strong this way around????

Sim

Chopping boards and for that matter, butchers blocks, have traditionally been made with the cutting surface showing end grain. I know it is easier on the knives but there are probably a lot more reasons.

I like the board! I like the woods, the colours and the contrast between them and also Chris has not used squares. Using rectangles has created a different pattern to that normally seen. Yes, I do like it!

I am with a number of the others on the cupping issue. I would guess that this is due to a clamping problem, possibly applying too much pressure in order to close gaps up. I can only guess because I have never done this myself :^o .

Bob

I made a chopping board recently and that was all end grain up, however it was made of 45mm deep pieces so the chances of them cupping were slim. As a few have suggested, it can be easy to introduce a curve when clamping up thinner material if you aren't expecting it. I have a lid for a box currently in clamps that was glued up carefully to apply just the right amount of pressure, but I still pressed it down onto a flat surface and put a bit of weight on top to show it who's boss.

All part of the trial and error Chris, you've probably learnt a huge amount from this project that you wouldn't have done if you'd followed some step by step instructions and not had to think for yourself. Though you might have had a flat board :D

I think chris has left the forum, because he ain't posted recently. I;m guessing mainly because of the criticism concerning the safety....?

joiner_sim":21fk9f5q said:
I think chris has left the forum, because he ain't posted recently. I;m guessing mainly because of the criticism concerning the safety....?

If this is so, it is a real pity, and a lesson about how we "speak" to each other. If anyone knows him, could they let him know that we would welcome him back and that most on here are pretty decent folk.

Mike

Mike Garnham":3cp06ed7 said:
joiner_sim":3cp06ed7 said:

If this is so, it is a real pity, and a lesson about how we "speak" to each other. If anyone knows him, could they let him know that we would welcome him back and that most on here are pretty decent folk.

Mike

Exactly my thoughts, I find this forum quite friendly and very helpful. It is now my regular daily spot to go on the computer.

I must say, I remember when i first joined. I posted a couple of pictures/ or my website, I can't remember. And some-one actually replied quite nastily, but I do also remember that they PM'ed me shortly afterwards apoligising.

SWIMBO had an endgrain chopping board (She insulted me by purchasing from the new market in Swindon!)

After using it to fillet fish she scrubbed it.
She then had a bright idea! :idea:
She put it in a cooling oven to dry. #-o
Of course the board cupped and even opened up joints. :lol:

I reglued, clamped it lightly and then cleaned it up while glue was still wet.

All I did to remove the cupping was soak the convex side well and leave it in the kithen to dry out naturally for a few days. A skim with a block plane on each side and a result! :D

Maybe we were lucky?

:whistle:
:)

joiner_sim":227a5940 said:

Not at all, I still have million questions in me about woodworking that needs answering! :D

Was at sea for three weeks on a barge with a very slow internet connection so no surfing only the occasional checking of emails was allowed.

I have read all the answers you guys gave me and I think it's a combination of mulitple little errors that created the cupping.

I'll plane it flat one last time and if it cups again then it's of to the flower guy and by my mom some flowers for christmas instead of a cutting board! :D

Finished, I'm a bit reluctant to post it, seeing all the perfect cutting boards on this forum lately, but I like it even touhg it's far from perfect. It still has the bow, but it doesn't wobble when put on a table, so it'll do. Had a lot of fun making this and learned load's mostly thanks to you guys with all the advice I got! Thanks!

348897707.jpg

348897701.jpg

Can't see any wobble from here!
That's quite a nice cutting board. Unusual choice of timbers, but striking in its way.
=D> =D> =D>

:)

Well, I reckon that is gorgeous!

If it is for you, you'll have something to be proud of for years........if for someone else then you will have earned loads of brownie points.

My only comment would be on the block sizes.........I wonder if an easier pattern might have shown off the bold wood to even greater effect?

Anyway, wonderful! Hope you've caught the bug and I look forward to your next project!!

Mike

I like the wood colours - wasn't sure at the beginning of the thread, but I reckon they look quite good.

Cheers

Karl

yes it's come out much nicer than I thought it was going to. I still think you're barmy using zebrano for a cutting board. But well done. Very interesting piece.

Latest posts

Back