WIP - A pair of computer monitor stands - sculpted Walnut legs and Yew top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
After a manic few months of being the busiest i’ve ever been at work i’ve finally had a little over a week off work. So i decided to make myself a pair of computer monitor stands as both (non adjustable) monitors i use in work are too low and a stack of paper under each wasnt cutting it, so just before going on annual leave I measured the ideal height above desk level as being 120mm. It would also be a nice thing to be able to look at something i’ve made when work gets stressful, so i’ve tried to spend some time to make them nice.

Unfortunately i didn’t take any photos towards the start of sculpting the legs, but i took some inspiration from a previous project of mine, the long shoe rack thingy i made, this one...

D8556FC9-5190-420A-96F2-64A9110F6F0A.jpeg

So with the above leg shapes in mind I started off by sketching the shape of both front and back legs onto a scrap of mdf, cut them out on the bandsaw and refined the shape until i was happy. The project in the above photo was done by template routing to get them all as identical as possible, and also used a roundover bit to shape.

This time i decided to do the shaping by hand, so used the templates i cut to make sure i had enough wood from a scrap board of ABW that i intended to use. So i rough cut using the bandsaw, then used the bobbin sander to refine the outer shape of each. The main rounding/shaping was then done using a coarse rasp, fine fine rasp and spokeshaves. Here they are before sanding them by hand.

AE9EAC3D-8E7F-4C7B-9665-3C2DEB6A0795.jpeg

Once the the hand sanding was done i used a t-track screwed to my table saw cross cut sled to safely clamp the legs down and used a shaped piece of scrap to keep the legs supported during each cut to get the bottom of each leg both flat and at the correct angle. Unfortunately no photos of this.
I then attached a scrap of MDF to the bed of the table saw sled using the masking tape/superglue trick. This scrap of MDF was set as close to parallel to the blade as possible at the set distance I wanted the legs to be to keep the bottom of each leg as close to parallel to the transition into the top board as possible, only to both side faces of each leg as they had parallel reference faces to both side faces. I then cut the remainder of the mortise to the top of each leg with saws and chisels. Although each leg is somewhat unique when looked at closely, I was quite pleased by how similar the legs look to each other. Again, unfortunately no photos of this, but these are the legs after the tenons are cut out and after the first coat of oil...

2AAA171B-E5B2-4D08-A9A5-C6220933CBCE.jpeg

E48542FC-5D59-4475-9226-6831B38C82EB.jpeg

I decided to use the same combination of wood as my previous project and decided to use a lovely board of yew for the tops. As both stands will be next to each other I just cut the board in half to try to maintain the continuous look of the grain. These are the two boards after planing, cutting in half, sanding and oiling...

B4326E0A-307B-4E54-94A1-243DAB9B6BE3.jpeg

But before I did the oiling I cut out the mortises to the base. Just in case these monitor stands would ever need to be flat against a wall in future I tried to place the rear legs as close to the back edge as possible by using an engineers square. I also tried to angle each leg outwards by approx 2 degrees to give it a more organic look.

F49CDEEB-6AFE-41F8-BA16-7348006625EB.jpeg

11BAB2D1-3ACA-4454-9A0A-D958C177AACD.jpeg

Due to the lack of clearance/access to mark the exact location of each mortise, I find a great trick is to gently lay out masking tape to provide the exact size of the mortise.

12E47BF7-52C1-4721-B364-AE83129BB960.jpeg

2C830CE1-70EE-419D-9A4E-51EC59773562.jpeg

Once marked up with masking tape I used a scalpel along a ruler to carefully mark out each mortise, also ensuring the fibres are sufficiently cut around each mortise. I then used a 1/4” spiral bit in a router to rough out the mortise as close as I can get before cleaning up with chisels.

51926DB6-8160-4979-8044-434AD2DD285A.jpeg

36164515-88ED-4C26-8541-CFF0BC214238.jpeg

A2E66982-8444-4A7F-BBEA-06BD9FEC6268.jpeg

1EE18B7F-B197-4BCE-AED6-0FACC922A10A.jpeg

Today being my last day of annual leave before back to reality tomorrow I managed to finish the monitor stands. Final thing to do was to brand both stands with my ‘makers mark’.

06D71AD8-F2F2-49AB-A164-962BA93D99FD.jpeg

FE695D6F-EDAE-4A61-9E9D-3E135282F2B1.jpeg

So after the last coat of oil I finished buffing each part and finally glued it all together. So this is the final product...

AD39A230-85D6-490A-A512-91190F7041A0.jpeg

0B80A1F8-AB7F-4081-A357-08504A43FD9C.jpeg

08E120ED-146B-44D1-BC7B-7E5381CE870C.jpeg

20DF21B4-9E27-4E01-AAF2-5DA38AD0281B.jpeg

I’ll take a photo of them once at their new home when I’m back in work tomorrow.

Last edited:
The grain on that yew is amazing. I imagine you'll have the poshest desk in the office by far...

Really nice job. Impressive technically, thoroughly thought through before picking up tools, and also a clever deployment of some exceptional timber.

👏

Thanks all for the kind words. I’m pleased with how it turned out. Once i’m set up in the office tomorrow i’m sure i’ll be turning down requests to make more of them 😁. Does help having nice wood though

As promised, here they are in their new home 😁

0A7C9D5D-6ADC-4021-8C2D-4D2279B86A34.jpeg

5B9068EF-AF88-47FD-A433-829AE12387E1.jpeg

F0EB812A-8533-47DC-A3B9-0E13997EBB9D.jpeg

Also, in case you wondered, my work desk is usually a lot messier with paper strewn across it in what i call organised chaos... but for the purposes of the photo (and for confidentiality) i had the pile of paperwork on my lap 😆

Great standard of work as always but that must also be a great antidote to being surrounded by office furniture/pc's and so on and a nice little reminder of life outside work and doing something you enjoy. A little bit of home.

Great standard of work as always but that must also be a great antidote to being surrounded by office furniture/pc's and so on and a nice little reminder of life outside work and doing something you enjoy. A little bit of home.
Thanks Bm101. Work’s been pretty nuts/stressful recently, so having something nice to look at now and again and a reminder of my life outside of work will hopefully keep me ploughing on when under pressure.

Really nice design and finish. A pity so much of the wonderful grain patterns in the stand are obscured by the foot of the monitor

Really nice design and finish. A pity so much of the wonderful grain patterns in the stand are obscured by the foot of the monitor
I know, it is a shame to hide the grain, but I did purposely make the top boards slightly oversized to be able to atleast see some of the grain. I’Ll be interested to see how the top will age differently between the unexposed bit beneath the monitor base and the outer exposed bits of the Yew

Sorry I missed this thread at the time. I don't normally like live edge tables much but I think you have found an application where they really make sense.

And congrats also on a well written wip which includes several reusable tips, like using tape to mark out the mortices. Very useful!

Thanks Andy! I just wish i had thought to take more photos at the start of the project.

I was finding it very difficult to keep the legs standing up in the precise location to be accurately marked out with a pencil or knife, hence it occurred to me to try using tape. I'll be using that trick again in future

I too had missed it to start with, nicely executed. And when they were stood on the top of your tablesaw they just looked as if they were about to set off and scamper around the workshop Disney style! You have managed to make the legs look as if they are alive .Ian

Back