Winter Solstice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Newgrange this year, but alas, a day early as the solstice itself was cloudy.
Screenshot-2020-12-22-at-13.00.40a.png

Apart from a short stint down very south in the late '60's after university I've always lived in Scotland. As a young man winter was the season because of my interest in mountaineering at all levels, and my log books give a good record of global warming. As an old man winter is now just a cold and damper version of summer !!
Rob

I understand.
I put the wrong picture up. Sorry. It should be this one.
PeteView attachment 98924

I still hate winter, although I would have loved that when I was a kid.

I remember the winter of 1962/1963 when we were virtually snowed in from Boxing Day 1962 until March. No central heating in the house in those days. Coal fires or an oil stove which gave you a stinking headache, and there was ice on the inside of the windows in the morning. No school for almost three months, sledging every day, and I used to come home with my gloves wet and frozen. Father used to walk the two/three miles to work, and the snow was at or above hedge hight.

Nigel.

I remember that winter, I walked three miles each way to school through all the bad weather. Thought nothing of it. One day on the way home a teacher stopped and gave me a lift. It was the first time I ever a saw a seat belt in a car. The belt wasn't retractable. I had no idea how to wear it, I just remember metres of belt all over the place.

Over the last few years (this one excepted for obvious reasons) we have spent three winter months in Southern Spain.

Evenings are cool but most days are 18-22C - delightful for walking a bit, lunch in the square, or by the sea, etc. Approx 2 hours extra daylight compared to Somerset. Most days spent outside, not stuck in wondering whether it's going to rain, or when it's going to stop..

Inspector - they are beautiful snowy landscapes. But even dry but cold (UK usually damp and cold) it is still not for me. It takes all sorts!!

Back