Winter Challenge - Please post your entries here.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope you remembered the earlier close this time. :)

The Winter Challenge is for a pair of ‘candle’ holders. Richard Findley has kindly agreed to judge this quarter’s Challenge,

Challenge Requirements: Pair of Candleholders

This Quarter’s rules were:-

1. The Challenge is open to anyone and everyone.
2. Entries must be new and made specifically for the Challenge.
3. Entries must be made of wood which must be turned on a lathe using woodturning tools.
4. The candleholders can be any size or shape. i.e, they can be candlesticks / candleabras or tealight holders, the important point being that they are a ‘matched pair’
5. Segmented turning, piercing, carving, colouring, pyrography and texturing are allowed for this challenge. However, the judge must be able to see your turning skills!

Please post three images of your work together with details of the wood used, the tools and methods used to make it and any key dimensions. A special ‘Entries’ thread will be started for this at the appropriate time.

Images needed:-

1 showing a general view of your entry .
1 showing a top view of the candleholders
1 showing a view of the bases of the candleholders
A fourth picture may be added (but is not compulsory) if needed to show any other interesting details of your entry.

Image size - please use image size 640 x 480 0.3mp, as in previous challenges

Please upload your pictures and description to the ‘Entries Thread’ between 10pm on the 11th December and 10pm on the 13th December.

Please also send me a PM giving me your own opinions of 1st, 2nd and 3rd places amongst the entries (other than your own) between 10pm on 13th December and 10pm on 15th December
(for me to compile the entrants’ scoring).

Good Luck everybody.

Well, coal fired power plants are getting a beating over here in the colonies, as elsewhere, so why not make one. It is made of mahogany, black walnut, and hemlock. I fastened the 2 pieces of hemlock together with brads and a bit of glue in the waste area and turned the base between centers, split the block, and did some off center turning of the stacks. Cut the blocks of mahogany and BW to rough length and turned them between centers as picture 1 shows. I made the rabbets on the blocks on the jointer, drilled the windows on the drill press and did the archways on the router table. Lacquer finish, its about 8" by 3" by 10".Its not legal without metal holders but I couldnt find any for these smaller candles. Thanks and Merry Christmas to all .

Attachments

• P1020476.jpg
    P1020476.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,265
  • P1020472.JPG
    P1020472.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 1,265
  • P1020473.JPG
    P1020473.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 1,265
  • P1020470.JPG
    P1020470.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 1,265
These candle sticks are made from Sapele and stand approximately(forgot to measure before packing these) 12 1/2" tall and 2 3/4" at the widest. Tools used are spindle roughing gouge, spindle gouges, skew chisel, parting tool and carving chisels. Finish is sander sealer and canuba wax polished on a three wheel system.
This turning involved involuted turning as well as a little carving to get the shape at the top of the heart shape. The base is turned separate from the main stem
Side view
DSCF5740-001_zpsp9jey2bd.jpg

Bottom view (this is very deceptive picture as the bases are only 1/16" difference in diameter even I had to check twice)
DSCF5738-001_zpsnugrykhw.jpg

Top view
DSCF5737-001_zps9ipcyxmk.jpg

General view
DSCF5739-001_zps9yxfquvw.jpg

Well I though long and hard about posting an entry as I know you could not hold a candle to my efforts when compared to those already posted. But, believe it or not, I have spent ages trying to produce something worthy of an entry.

The wood is some kind of Cypress which I felled a couple of years ago. I had intended to use cherry but glad I did not as what you see here are the best of 5 attempts.

When placed either end of the mantle piece and viewed from the other side of the room they can be mistaken for a pair. Closer inspection reveals otherwise.

A near disaster while fitting the candles required both pieces to be rechucked so the bottoms are not as clean as they should be.

Thanks for organising, what has turned out for me, a really hard challenge.

This is my entry, couple of snowman tea light holders turned from Ash, size is 140mm tall x 70mm diameter, the noses were turned from yew and the eyes and buttons from some scrap unknown wood, each made with tenons then drilled main body and glued in, tools used were roughing gouge, spindle gouge, skew and parting tool, finished with wax.
Merry Xmas.
can2 (640x555).jpg
can3 (640x415).jpg
can1 (600x414).jpg

Attachments

• can2 (640x555).jpg
    can2 (640x555).jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 1,171
  • can3 (640x415).jpg
    can3 (640x415).jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 1,172
  • can1 (600x414).jpg