Wine rack project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrunner45

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning to make a wine rack and wine glasses holder for my parents as a Christmas gift and have a few questions.

What type of wood would you recommend making it from , i was going for softwood as it will be inside but not sure of the best species of softwood?

I plan to give it an antique finish to it and not sure what to use?

I would like to engraving a personal note on it , how easy is this to do or can i send a piece of wood away for engraving?

Does anyone have any plans they have used on a previous project , which i can then adjust my design to suit?

The style i am trying to replicate is the image attached .

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 924ABFB8-6BDF-4509-AECF-740D04CE780C.jpeg
    924ABFB8-6BDF-4509-AECF-740D04CE780C.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 75
. . . if it's a rack for wine then the bottles need to be stored horizontally (at least they do if they have corks - screw tops it doesn't really matter) - the pic is for spirits, liqueurs etc.

The one in the picture is definitely from softwood. Looks like a great project to get started with.

Unsorted redwood or southern yellow pine should be easy to source.

No plans I’m afraid but it looks like it is largely screw together. Three horizontals the width of the rack and two sides, with a railing for the bottles. The lower shelf has cut outs for the glass stems.

Fitz.

Couple of points. If you use a softwood I would not try the antique look. Stained pine always looks a bit second rate. Let it just look like pine.
If it is to hang on a wall give some thought about how you do it as there will be a bit of weight with a row of full bottles in it.
As to engraving a Pyrography pen is not expensive and you burn in a message or just sign it. Just another option.
Regards
John

Hello,

I am planning to make a wine rack and wine glasses holder for my parents as a Christmas gift and have a few questions.

What type of wood would you recommend making it from , i was going for softwood as it will be inside but not sure of the best species of softwood?

I plan to give it an antique finish to it and not sure what to use?

I would like to engraving a personal note on it , how easy is this to do or can i send a piece of wood away for engraving?

Does anyone have any plans they have used on a previous project , which i can then adjust my design to suit?

The style i am trying to replicate is the image attached .

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sounds like a nice project. You could have the engraving done by laser burning. I'm sure somebody near you can do it for you at little cost, depending on the extent of you artwork

The one in the picture is definitely from softwood. Looks like a great project to get started with.

Unsorted redwood or southern yellow pine should be easy to source.

No plans I’m afraid but it looks like it is largely screw together. Three horizontals the width of the rack and two sides, with a railing for the bottles. The lower shelf has cut outs for the glass stems.

Fitz.
Thanks for your reply , i will check out the redwood to southern yellow pine what is the best finishes (apart from painting a colour) for there woods , is there any oil to apply or a varnish?

Couple of points. If you use a softwood I would not try the antique look. Stained pine always looks a bit second rate. Let it just look like pine.
If it is to hang on a wall give some thought about how you do it as there will be a bit of weight with a row of full bottles in it.
As to engraving a Pyrography pen is not expensive and you burn in a message or just sign it. Just another option.
Regards
John
Thanks for your reply, is there a certain type of pine which would give the best finish if just left natural , what have you used before?
Regarding the weight that is a good point as it could be quite heavy , i was think of 4 fixings with rawl plugs into the wall but i will check the max weight.
I have never heard of a Pyrography pen , which is why i like this forum i am learning a lot , i will check out the pen online.

Sounds like a nice project. You could have the engraving done by laser burning. I'm sure somebody near you can do it for you at little cost, depending on the extent of you artwork
Thanks for your reply, i will investigate local laser burning as could be a good option.

Hello Roadrunner, and welcome.
If you’re at all concerned about the weight of it, use a ‘French cleat’. I’m afraid I can’t give you a drawing, but basically you will need a piece of wood fastened to the wall. The wood needs its top edge cut at an angle (45 degrees will work), and will be a little shorter than the length of the project. Use plenty of screws to attach to the wall. The back of the project will also need a member chamfered at 45 degrees, such that it hooks over the fastening on the wall. I hope that makes sense. Good luck.

Hello Roadrunner, and welcome.
If you’re at all concerned about the weight of it, use a ‘French cleat’. I’m afraid I can’t give you a drawing, but basically you will need a piece of wood fastened to the wall. The wood needs its top edge cut at an angle (45 degrees will work), and will be a little shorter than the length of the project. Use plenty of screws to attach to the wall. The back of the project will also need a member chamfered at 45 degrees, such that it hooks over the fastening on the wall. I hope that makes sense. Good luck.
Thanks for your reply, i have had a look at this online and looks a nice option and i have never heard of french cleat before but looks a good method of fixing for various scenarios. Good to know for future projects.

Great project esp if your starting out or getting going again, just as a matter of intrest what sort of tools do you have access to? I know its been suggested you could screw it together but its a good candidate for dowels, cheap and easy enough to use and once youve used them you will find them extreamly strong and useful and they look good hidden or showing through. I wonder if its small enough to be able to use recycled timber/ an old bit of furniture, you might get something big enough for the whole job out of a skip! Its how I get most of my timber and for me it adds an additional layer of enjoyment to know and see what Ive done with it.
Steve.

Great project esp if your starting out or getting going again, just as a matter of intrest what sort of tools do you have access to? I know its been suggested you could screw it together but its a good candidate for dowels, cheap and easy enough to use and once youve used them you will find them extreamly strong and useful and they look good hidden or showing through. I wonder if its small enough to be able to use recycled timber/ an old bit of furniture, you might get something big enough for the whole job out of a skip! Its how I get most of my timber and for me it adds an additional layer of enjoyment to know and see what Ive done with it.
Steve.
Thanks for your reply, the current tools i have are pillar drill , circular saw , jigsaw , router , chop saw and chisels but also have limited knowledge but willing to learn. I would like to know more about dowels how to use and when to use?
I agree with recycled timber and old furniture but struggling to find the best way of getting hold of some , any advice welcome.

Back