Wine goblet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evoman76

Established Member
Reaction score
So a friend has asked if I can make them a wine goblet, what wood would be best?

Thanks in advance

David

evoman76":zlmrp59j said:
So a friend has asked if I can make them a wine goblet, what wood would be best?

Thanks in advance

David
If the recipient is intending to use it as a drinking vessel then use a fruit wood such as Cherry, Apple, Pear.
Beech, Birch, Sycamore, Ash can also look attractive if the grain structure falls right.
Be aware the more porous the grain the more it will stain or indeed show signs of leaking.

Don't use Yew and other toxic wood species unless it's just intended for decoration, then of course anything to hand that is sound enough to take the shaping detail is fine.

CHJ":28zf60va said:
evoman76":28zf60va said:

Thanks in advance

David
If the recipient is intending to use it as a drinking vessel then use a fruit wood such as Cherry, Apple, Pear.
Beech, Birch, Sycamore, Ash can also look attractive if the grain structure falls right.
Be aware the more porous the grain the more it will stain or indeed show signs of leaking.

Don't use Yew and other toxic wood species unless it's just intended for decoration, then of course anything to hand that is sound enough to take the shaping detail is fine.

+1 for CHJ's advice

Somewhere on here, and in other places, there have been long discussions on the toxicity of yew. Although the chance of harm may be low, some say even nil particularly with an impermeable finish, I have reluctantly decided to avoid it for food use because of the uncertainty. Why add to the list of things that might harm us unless there is no choice.

So wholly agree with the views above.

I thought the ancients used oak for drinking vessels, not sure where I read that.

Back