Windy Miller does woodwork

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gor Blimey O'Reilly!

Makes them old Wadkins look like Kid's toys!

Not so sure about the Electric plane though! Would have been fun watching him do it by hand! :mrgreen:

It was interesting and very effective cutting two planks at a time. The opportunity for something going wrong seemed quite high but they all seemed to have all their limbs! That powered planer at the end looked a good bit of kit.
Regards Keith

Mind you, having said that, I was talking to an Old Boy in Devon 30 odd years ago about the old days of the West Coast Ketches and Schooners. He'd worked in various shipyards down that way and he told me that the baulks of timber used to come in squared off and then they hand adzed them into the round! :shock:

Tony Spear":3jh92svg said:
Gor Blimey O'Reilly!

Makes them old Wadkins look like Kid's toys!

Not so sure about the Electric plane though! Would have been fun watching him do it by hand! :mrgreen:

Wonder if he uses the 'Ruler Trick'! :mrgreen:

Thanks Jason. An interesting set.

I might have to learn a bit more Dutch!

:D

Really fascinating stuff there Jason!

That Makita planer has given me a few ideas for the one I have and a larger sole....kind of a huge jointer! Simply love the stick-driven chip extraction system! :mrgreen:

It makes a change to see people actually using the power of nature...the canals as well...instead of using them as a place to hide shopping trolleys! :roll:

You'd want to go to work every day, wouldn't you?

Jim

That's one heck of a way to apply finishes!

I also noted how much stock he removed when using the spokeshave on the mast.

I suppose that in the days before power tools, they'd have to rough out the the generally rounded section for the mast using adze or side axe (or would they have turned the billet on an angle and then put it through the saw again?) and then hand plane/spokeshave/scrapers to get the final shape.

It was also interesting that never once did I see a square or a pair of calipers in use!

Latest posts

Back