Windsor Chair Purchase – unhappy - advice sought.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we have at least one more criminal to send over to you by the looks of it!

Get in touch with PayPal and get your money back, then send the thing back, if it's possible, do that without paying the postage, but I doubt that's feasible. Contact trading standards, you are definitely protected under the sales of goods act, though that protection is very limited.

Whoever made that should think about a career change, perhaps to be a brain donor...

Aidan

filsgreen":jffr7rqn said:
No offence and I don't know the law WW, but I would consider the content of what you post on a public forum.

Phil
I think this is a point well made - just be careful what you post it may not help you with any future actions. Not sure of the law though!!

FWIW IMO It looks dreadful for a paid for piece and certainly not worth the price paid.

I hope you reach a satisfactory conclusion.

Cheers :D
Tony

What a lovely chair[/b]fire wood! I hope the person that made it had a bad day whilst making this :shock:

I've never carved a thing in my life but I reckon I could do a better job of those arms than the jokers that did this. With regard to posting content on a forum I would only worry if this is going to harm any negotiations you have with them (and by the sounds of it, it won't) and if you're posting untruths.

I think you've posted a very honest appraisal and I'm ashamed that an apparent English craftsmen has ripped off a customer from abroad with a piece of furniture that would struggle to be sold in a second hand flea market

Good luck

On the photography forum where I moderate we would not allow a thread like this where the individual or company is not present to defend themselves.

I don't know enough about the law to say what can legally bring trouble for the forum but I'd be inclined to play safe if it were my call.

I have seldom seen a more valid cause for complaint!
In many walks of life customers complain because they just don't like the end result, but this is truly awful.
Please, accept nothing less than a full and complete refund, including shipping and taxes.
These people are in Yandles yard, but I can't believe that Yandles could have any idea that they might be associated with this kind of tat.

Jim

Dickens commented that 'the law is a ass', and if posting those images causes the poster problems then Dickens was correct.
If a tradesman's work can't stand scrutiny he should give the job up altogether IMO.

Roy.

mmmhhhh. bad scene. I do have a background in law and would also advise you to be careful what you say. The photo's speak for themselves, so you really don't need the captions anyway.
I wonder if the wrong chair was sent? I myself would have sent the money back before sending a piece of work that was likely to damage my reputation (such as it is) irretrieveably.
However, it will be interesting to find out what the maker says about this.

In the interim I would document all calls, keep copies (dated) of ALL correspondence relevant to the chair, and send a letter (recorded delivery) as a notice of intent to the 'defendant' offering him a chance to remedy the situation. I believe the standard time frame for a response is 14 days, after which I would begin the recovery process, first with Paypal or credit card company, and if no joy there then with the small claims court. Should be a clear cut case.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Neil ( chippy - ex High Court Officer!!)

RobertMP":2l3c6qrn said:
On the photography forum where I moderate we would not allow a thread like this where the individual or company is not present to defend themselves.

I don't know enough about the law to say what can legally bring trouble for the forum but I'd be inclined to play safe if it were my call.

Carl Holland is aware of this thread.

Digit":10bz089y said:
Dickens commented that 'the law is a ass', and if posting those images causes the poster problems then Dickens was correct.
If a tradesman's work can't stand scrutiny he should give the job up altogether IMO.

Roy.

Indeed. Hollands are fully aware of this thread and my complaint. I have said nothing libelous, just asked for peer opinion of the photos to gauge my course of action.

RobertMP":36a8mcmu said:

Can I ask why? WW feels (in my view rightly) aggrieved at the quality of the product he has received. He has tried to contact the manufacturer, but to no avail. If the manufacturer chooses not to respond on this forum, that is his choice.

Cheers

Karl

If something is true, it can't be libellous. Unless the photographs are false, there isn't much risk here for the OP or Charley as publisher (although whether he is willing to take any risk when he hasn't much to gain from his forum being used like this is up to him).

I wouldn't send it back - reject it, but it's theirs to collect at their expense - no reason for you to incur any more cost.

Jake":3g7x6pme said:
If something is true, it can't be libellous. Unless the photographs are false, there isn't much risk here for the OP or Charley as publisher

I am sure that Jake is quite correct; I am also sure that the OP has been treated shabbily by the chair maker.

However, I worry from a forum member's point of view about the precedent being set regarding a new member pursuing a personal grievance in this way through these columns.

Woodwould claims that has 'just asked for peer opinion of the photos to gauge my course of action.'

This is a little disingenuous. If the matter had been raised in that way there would be no problem. However, Woodwould actually voiced his own opinion strongly from the outset that he has been the victim of fraud and misrepresentation.

If we are not careful we could arrive at the situation whereby these forums are being used to settle scores and conduct petty vendettas behind a safe cloak of anonymity.

I hope that Woodwould gets his problem resolved but feel that a note of caution needs to be raised about the precedent set by the manner in which he has brought it to our attention.

Cheers
Dan

Dan Tovey":o2qyzzor said:
Jake":o2qyzzor said:
If something is true, it can't be libellous. Unless the photographs are false, there isn't much risk here for the OP or Charley as publisher

I am sure that Jake is quite correct; I am also sure that the OP has been treated shabbily by the chair maker.

However, I worry from a forum member's point of view about the precedent being set regarding a new member pursuing a personal grievance in this way through these columns.

Woodwould claims that has 'just asked for peer opinion of the photos to gauge my course of action.'

This is a little disingenuous. If the matter had been raised in that way there would be no problem. However, Woodwould actually voiced his own opinion strongly from the outset that he has been the victim of fraud and misrepresentation.

If we are not careful we could arrive at the situation whereby these forums are being used to settle scores and conduct petty vendettas behind a safe cloak of anonymity.

I hope that Woodwould gets his problem resolved but feel that a note of caution needs to be raised about the precedent set by the manner in which he has brought it to our attention.

Cheers
Dan
I admit I have only joined this forum recently, but I have also contributed to other threads. Would the moderators please let me know if they'd like me to modify or remove this thread. I don't want to ruffle any feathers here.

I admit I have only joined this forum recently, but I have also contributed to other threads. Would the moderators please let me know if they'd like me to modify or remove this thread. I don't want to ruffle any feathers here.[/quote]

Keep posting, no feathers ruffled here :D :D

I don't see a problem in venting, as long as all parties have had an opportunity to try and resolve the problem first. If a customer has tried without or with success then they should be able to post their outcome. Good or Bad.
This is only my thoughts which may be right, may be wrong.

A satisfied customer may only tell one other person, but an unhappy customer will tell ten people and more. ANNO

Totally unacceptable - I echo OPJ - James Murcell is ace.

With regard to the legitimacy of the post - he is just seeking advice from us experts.

Back