Windows Update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangles

Established Member
Reaction score
I understood that support for windows 7 has ended so why am I still
getting updates for win7.
Is it worth installing these,is it a security issue or doesn't it matter?

I couldn't give you a firm answer. I still have one win 7 machine, though it's dying. It's the only computer that I have that works with my metallurgical microscope, and the cost of a new camera for the scope that works for win 10 is about the same as the cost of the whole scope...

....but I turned off notifications on it eons ago so that it wouldn't have to do anything that isn't absolutely necessary as far as snapping scope pictures.

My suspicion is that windows will still be sending out something to win 7 users to try to get you to switch still as their original goal was to get people onto a leased operating system instead of owned. If they still have that objective, it's probably better to change their mind and keep offering "updates" to their strategy to try to convert more folks.

dangles":3ryan3ci said:
….
If you search on the update number you should find what the update/patch is intended to address.

It might well be an update to address a vulnerability of one of the Win 7 systems files that poses a risk to other internet users if your machine becomes infected.

dangles":n96k86o5 said:
I understood that support for windows 7 has ended so why am I still
getting updates for win7.

Think of them as safety recalls for your car, you wouldn't ignore them would you?

You can still do the free upgrade to windows 10.

Pete

Depending on your pc/laptop you may be able to upgrade to windows 8/8.1 which is a massive step up. The operating system will be to old to run windows 10

D_W":3uvfputd said:
My suspicion is that windows will still be sending out something to win 7 users to try to get you to switch still as their original goal was to get people onto a leased operating system instead of owned. If they still have that objective, it's probably better to change their mind and keep offering "updates" to their strategy to try to convert more folks.

Sorry but that is completely wrong. You are confusing Windows with Office.

You still get anti-virus updates (or "Security Intelligence Updates" as they call them now) and Office updates if you have a copy still in support. But that's about it. This last Patch Tuesday there were some doozies including one for Word where you don't have to completely open a dodgy doc file to get nailed.

You can get away with not running a fully patched OS on whatever platform... but it's then up to you to be savvy and, on certain occasions, lucky. The ne'er do wells are invariably always one step ahead as exploits are found and either sold to the highest bidder or whoever is responsible is told and only has so long to issue a fix before the bug becomes public and starts getting exploited.

Microsoft issued an update to Windows 7 after the supposed final update on 14 January (KB4534310) caused problems for some users.

If you are being offered updates you would be silly not to accept them as they will be security related.

[topchippyles]Depending on your pc/laptop you may be able to upgrade to windows 8/8.1 which is a massive step up. The operating system will be to old to run windows 10
Sorry but that doesn't make sense. The hardware may not be capable of upgrading to Windows 10 but as no specifications were mentioned we can only speculate.

My 12 year old laptop is still running vista. I STILL get updates for it.
Showing no signs of failing so i will run this one till it drops dead at my feet. 8)

sunnybob":1g03p5uz said:
My 12 year old laptop is still running vista. I STILL get updates for it.
Showing no signs of failing so i will run this one till it drops dead at my feet. 8)
Microsoft ended Vista extended support (security update only) back in 2017 Bob. The updates you're getting are most likely just for Windows Defender and / or Office. By all means run it into the ground but do treat it like an elderly relative knocking loudly on the door upstairs. It will have every exploit that's been found over the last 3 years...

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I know, but its only used for emails and forum reading. there are no offshore accounts worth raiding around here. 8) 8)

Back