Windows on workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
some of you may remember me asking for advice about making windows to fit my garage - the original window was rotten and boarded up with a sheet of chipboard. Well, I decided one morning I couldn't bear the chipboard anymore and so ripped out the remaining bits of the original frame and started making some hinged shutters for the gap instead so that at least I could get some natural light in. As the morning went on the shutters got grander until they became windows, glazed with thick acrylic rescued from an old greenhouse at 10p a sheet! They aren't perfect windows and I'm sure I'll have to replace them at some point but I think they'll last a few years.
furini-Windowoutside.jpg

Viewed from the inside you can see that the next project will be to build a bike shed!
furini-Windowinside.jpg

Piece of mouldy chipboard is currently smouldering on a large bonfire in the garden :D
Cheers
Stewart

Nicely done Sir, you cannot beat natural light in the shop. :D There is just not enough of it about. :shock: You still need the elctricery lights for the corners and evenings, you look quite well set up with those as well. 8)

Well done Stewart, now if you can get rid of the non woodworking stuff you will be all set.
I like the outside look of your shop. Do you have it heated?

Bob

Thanks for the kind comments Dave and Bob.
I have a small oil filled radiator as the only source of heat. It could do with some insulation in the roof and the door when I get the time (and money!).
Cheers
Stewart

I'm trying to avoid this thread because it's reminding me that I need to insert a window into a lean-to door at the side of our house :roll: .

You've done a nice job on your windows, Stewart.

Gill

cambournepete":3sdqp1bh said:
Gill":3sdqp1bh said:
...lean-to door...

I know what you mean, but it ain't what I pictured on first reading... :oops: :roll:

:lol: I asked for that!

We've got a lean-to abutting the side of our house and it's very dark in there. A window in the door would let a lot of light in.

Hey, I made that door myself - and the rest of the structure. 'Lean-to' door indeed... :wink: :D . What's more, the roof has remained in place and weather tight for several years now. For me, that's been a major achievement! I have a track record of unintentionally building cabriolet workshops :oops: .

Gill

Back