windows 7 home prem 64 bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on how old. We've got 2010, 2007 and 2003 running on different laptops without any problems.

Unless you are going back to the really old 16 bit versions (4.3) there shouldn't be a problems, but the old 97 and 2000 versions can be a bit flaky.

Misterfish

Thanks MF. one of the ladies at our club this morning wants to go for an Amazon offer £299 Toshiba W7 but I think any stuff she has got is all 98 and perhaps ME.

So I shall warn her.

I had to buy the 2007 version (cheaper as its not the latest) when I upgraded my PC with W7 Home Premium.
If you buy the Professional versions they come with XP compatability so can run older stuff that worked with XP.

Rod

You don't need pro, you won't even know the difference:

win71_(Medium).PNG

win72_(Medium).PNG

Related problem, in case any of you IT fiends out there can help.
Been trying to install Photoshop Elements 7 on a newish machine running Win 7 Pro. Can't get the **** program to install. It claims not enough space, among other things (there's a good 80Gb spare on the hard disk). Anyone else had problems, or even better, solved them?

Some laptops come with Microsoft 2011 word processor evaluation version but it has all the functions you need and its free and permanent . Has ribbon icons, not drop down menu which is easy to use

dickm":1uvbt6fk said:
Related problem, in case any of you IT fiends out there can help.
Been trying to install Photoshop Elements 7 on a newish machine running Win 7 Pro. Can't get the **** program to install. It claims not enough space, among other things (there's a good 80Gb spare on the hard disk). Anyone else had problems, or even better, solved them?

Apparently it should install on the 32 bit version of W7 but not the 64 bit. But have a look at http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140568- ... s-7-64bit/

It seems that there are many reporting problems with Photoshop and Photoshop Elements 7 with 64 bit Windows 7. Apparently version 8 works OK but would require an upgrade.

Misterfish

Software4students is for students, teachers, parents and grandparents. Do they check up, I don't know, but I as a teecher and my daughter as a student have both bought genuine software at a pittance from the above company.3 DVDs for MS Office 2010, or you can get a download of the software from their website.

I have been messing around this morning scanning some photographs and my scanner will only scan at 24 bits.

How will windows7 + in the future cope with loading if its 64 bit?

Havent put 7 up on my desktop yet.

No problem with scanning as the 24 bit is to do with the number of different colours it can distinguish. In this case it's based on binary numbers (24 binary digits) between 000000000000000000000000 and 111111111111111111111111

The 64 bit of the opeating system is to do with the number of binary digits that the computer uses to actually run windows. This has increased over time as computer power and complexity has increased. The old Spectrum home computer was an 8 bit machine, then the first PCs were using MsDOS which was 16 bit then we went on to the later versions of Windows which were 32 bit and now also 64 bit.

Misterfish

Misterfish, thanks for that useful info.

How are you getting on with W7 and that patch to use with XP?

I've got music, flying sims, train sims, card games, poster printing programs (the poster print is a W98) and I still dont want to consider desktop W7 losing the use of that lot. I shall most probably keep my xp going and run a laptop alongside with W7.

Bearing in mind that I've got 32 bit versions of W7 I've not had many problems loading older software, but there are certainly some of the old Windows and DOS programs that won't run. As for the XP mode it does work but as my desktop PC is old it runs very slowly and I rarely bother with it. The other problem I have is with the W7 service pack 1 - which stops the old graphics card from working and the display is just in its basic VGA mode. Fortunately restoring the system to pre service pack 1 state gets the graphics card working again. I keep telling myself that I must get a new desktop machine but all the time the old one still works I keep putting it off.

Misterfish

Latest posts

Back